For those who've been jailbreaking since 1.0.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PatrickRolfsen, Sep 6, 2010.

1. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

Does anybody remember before the automated jb applications came out and it was necessary to SSH into the phone and launch the phone's settings app and whatnot from your Mac's terminal, does anyone know or have a copy saved of instructions like that? I'm interested in using remote terminal commands like that again but cannot for the life of me find a tutorial that old ANYWHERE! :confused::confused:

Thanks for the help

Pat

2. thespazz macrumors 6502a

If I remember correctly, this isn't how it went down. You would initiate an emergency call or something and then end it to enter in a contact that could launch settings. Boy that was a looooong time ago.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

You want some kind of tutorial on basic unix commands. Unless you are actually wanting to jailbreak a 1.0 or whatever phone. You just need to get familiar with using unix commands vs using some sort of GUI to navigate directories, copy files and launch programs.

http://osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I used to go to modmyi back in the day when I wanted to theme my phone. They had all the commands needed to upload each of the images to the appropriate folders that they needed to be placed in.

It took allot of time to theme a phone back then. :mad:

If you search their site from the beginning, you may be able to find what you want there.

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

That was the original jailbreakme website for 1.1.1 firmware. That was not the first program to jailbreak with.

The ORIGINAL jailbreak was done with the programs "iPhoneInterface" and "Jailbreak". Then iPHUC came along. We used commands like getfile and putfile and we mv'd now and then and renamed. Unfotunately I deleted many of my 1.x tutorials and only maintain guides for 1.1.4 which use more automated programs like iLiberty and iNdependence. Even then it was still a bit of a pain to do things.

Here is my original ringtone tutorial that I wrote with some of the earlier members of the team. This uses iPhoneInterface and Jailbreak to accomplish its tasks.

http://www.hackthatphone.com/1x/custom_ringtones.html

Hilarious! It was a lot of steps just to put a ringtone on the dang phone back then. And you had to rejailbreak each time to add another one.

Being able to use other authorized SIMs on the AT&T network was the first major hack on the phone. We used a program called iAsign written by iZsh, and others. I was able to use my Cingular SIM in the iPhone to make and receive calls. This was on July 18, 2007. Once again iPhoneInterface and Jailbreak came into play to do this:

http://www.hackthatphone.com/1x/how_to_use_a_cingular_sim_in_the_iphone.html

I no longer host those programs iPi and jailbreak so don't bother clicking the links they aren't there. I only recently deleted those programs as they are so archaic. I still have iAsign however.

Edit: I found the jailbreak/ipi programs at the original link they were at back in '07 http://www.wotan.org/jailbreak11.zip

Edit: For more historic information check out the iPhone Wiki. This isn't the original version by the dev team, apparently all that data was lost. A year later or so GeoHot attempted to recreate all that information, so there may still be some information you want there that would be helpful to you. Modmyiphone.com (now modmyi.com) also had some great information back then so search their site as well. Their guides appear to only go back to 3.0. I can't even find their wiki anymore. I'd think that would have the original articles. Probably gonna have to dig through the forums!

6. PatrickRolfsen thread starter macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

thanks for all of the replies, guys. I guess it is, in fact the unix commands i'm thinking of. I was speaking specifically about the part after opening the system when programs were launched on the phone remotely. I can run commands and whatnot locally on my laptop, but to control my phone or other computer, would I just log in via SSH to execute the desired commands on the remote machine?

I actually do have an older iPhone I plan on playing around with in the meantime, and did recall that the initial breaking into the system was kinda fun as opposed to using an automated GUI :p

I forgot about iphuc... Not sure if I used it or not, but I do recall having to start the process a couple times during my first attempt haha

7. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

8. PatrickRolfsen thread starter macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen