iPad mini For those with a 64GB celluar iPad Mini, how do you like it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tymaster50, May 28, 2013.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I know I should google it but I wanna hear more opinions. Do you use it a lot? Find yourself using it more on the road instead of searching for wifi? Those questions might seem obvious but hear me out lol. I tethered my wifi only ipad until it was stolen and I find myself not really missing it as much I should but you know you never really miss something as much as you should until you have it back lol.

So long story short I want one for college and I don't really wanna use their wifi since they'll basically track everything I do lol

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You think carriers don't track what you do? You're being tracked in so many ways regardless. An iPad mini on a college wireless network is barely a blip on the radar.

3. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I mean like seeing what apps I download and the websites I visit. Colleges are a little more serious about it since usually they're responsible for what you visit.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have a WiFi only mini, and I wish that I had gone for the cellular model. Lately, I've been away from home more and some of the hotels and locations I've been working have poor or no WiFi.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Mine doesn't care as long as I'm not doing anything illegal. Such as torrenting movies, music, etc. Downloading an app that you legally paid for on the App Store (I assume) is probably not going to irk any university at least in the US.

6. French macrumors regular

I bought the AT&T version of the iPad mini, 64 gig...and haven't even activated the SIM yet. I have either been around wifi, or in a pinch I've used my phone to tether.

On my iPad 2 I also had AT&T and had the 300mb plan, which I didn't use all that much but I wanted to know I had an option in case things changed with my ability to tether my phone.

7. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Haha yeah. Also it's unencrypted or something like that, I always get that message on hotel wi-fi at least that what I'm doing might be visible to other people or something. AT&T + LTE might be faster than university wi-fi that just about everyone is using :p

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I think if you're able to add it to a family plan for $10 a month, it is a nice option over wi-fi only. If you have to pay the standalone data fees, it can be quite expensive for occasional use. The $130 upfront additional cost is ultimately offset by recouping perhaps 50% of that when the device is resold/traded.

9. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I use one as a phone (earbuds + microphone + VOIP software). I only need to make very occasional calls- most of which I can do while using wifi. I've owned it since it came out and have turned on 4G two times while traveling. My "phone's" (non) contract cost is totaling $40 for the year so far. It looks like I might have to do that one more time before I've had it a whole year, so my total costs of data is probably going to be $60 FOR A YEAR!!!

I have unlimited texting, data-on-demand & voice for what will probably average out to about $5 per month. While it is not quite the complete iPhone experience, I prefer keeping the extra $65-95+ per month in my pocket. For someone that needs data and texting more than phone (but some phone use too), it's a great option if you don't mind earbuds + microphone for the phone portion. Works great for me (had a 2-hour conference call today and it went off without any issues at all).

I got the one with 4G just for this purpose.

10. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Personally, I love my cellular mini. Honestly, I love having the GPS chip and the fast wifi. Also allowing me to connect from basically anywhere... Nothing beats it. I often have to do remote support and being out of contact makes life very difficult. I love the storage, I can keep quite a few shows and movies on my iPad. Now that my whole family have iPhones, I could get by just with my iPad and iMessage, if I could find a Mophie-like battery case for the mini that is. I seem to get awful battery life.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

AT&T was and maybe still is giving you $100 off any tablet if you sign up for a 2 year contract. I always had data on my iPad 2 so the contract doesn't bother me.