For those with a loose home button...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tinmeigut, Jan 13, 2015.

1. tinmeigut, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015

tinmeigut macrumors newbie

I'm using a 6+, it's got a loose home button but I'm fine with the looseness itself since it works alright.

What concerns me is that after clicking the home button, when the button comes back up, the sound it gives is not a clear "click". Note I'm not talking about the first clicking sound as you press the button, but the sound it gives when it goes back up.

Anyway, that sound sounds more like there's a bead trapped under the home button and it was jumping/moving around a bit. In other words it sounds like something is loose under the button. But when I shake the phone (carefully of course), I can't hear anything move under the home button.

So I wonder if this different sound is due to a loose home button? I know some of us got a loose home button too, and I'd be grateful if you can verify that for me.

Edit: For my case, this different sound can be more easily reproduced when I click not on the centre of the button but on the edge.

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

When I had the 6, it's home button was the exact same as you describe. It seemed at times like there was a piece of gravel inside. You can swap it out. Maybe try some rubbing alcohol on a Q tip and swab around the home button.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It's not just the 6/6+. This has been an issue with iPhone home buttons for a while. I've had it repaired on my 5 once, and it comes and goes. Unfortunately my AppleCare+ just expired, so it's either live with it for find a third party solution if it gets worse. In your case I'd take it over to an Apple Store and they can fix it.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have had 15 different iPhones going all the way back to the first one they introduced. Each phone's home button was different. Some were quiet, other clicked and some even made a crunching noise. Not one stopped working.

I think today's home buttons are likely the best they have made as Apple surely has then as fail free as possible. I would just use you device and if it fails, Aplle will fix or replace. If you can't just move on and enjoy you will ruin the experience of owning an Apple product.

5. techspin macrumors 6502a

I know what you're talking about. When the button is pressed, it feels as if there's a metal ring/part underneath that jumps and makes a slight noise. If it annoys you, then get it replaced.

6. tinmeigut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the comments.

The different clicking sound itself doesn't bother me. I'm only concerned whether this different sound would mean that the home button would die on me sooner than it should. So far it works alright, so I'm reluctant to service my phone now.