For those with Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zelaya, Dec 2, 2010.

1. zelaya macrumors 6502

Hi guys, please don't flame me for my questions but I've been looking here for the answer without any success. Well after 8 yrs I decided upgrading my linksys's router and I was able to setup my new airport extreme wireless and add my ethernet printer without using the USB option.

I noticed after using my daughter macbook pro under her log in and I was able to see my airport router and was able to change settings under airport utility. I don't want that to happen as I want to manage everything from my Macpro and I'n afraid that anyone with another pc from outside can have access to it. I don't have any share files except sharing the printer in the network. Also I noticed that I can't have two seperate network name's with individual passwords for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz but I have a separete one for the guest network which I did okay. If I add a hard drive in the airport router via USB can I use that for time machine for my daughter macbook pro?

Thanks guys!!!!

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Make sure you have an admin password on the AEBS, and that will keep people using your daughter's MBP or other device on your network from making inadvertent changes to the AEBS's settings unless they know that password.

Anyone using the Internet through the AEBS's Guest Network will not be able to change the AEBS settings or see any devices on your internal network, unless you specifically allow remote administration from WAN/Internet, which is turned off by default.

You may have some success using a USB drive attached using AirDisk as a Time Machine target for the MBP. Some have reported problems, though. Keep in mind that if you go this route, the initial Time Machine backup will seem to take forever unless you connect the MBP via Ethernet for the first backup.

3. DualShock macrumors 6502

First, let me say that I have the Airport Extreme that is the model previous to the current shipping model, so this may be slightly different depending on what model you have. Mine is MB763LL/A (aka A1301), current is MC340LL/A (aka A1354).

You can set it up so that a password is required to change the settings. And I don't believe you can configure it from outside your network.

You can have separate network names for 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz. (There is an advanced button somewhere on the wireless setup screen.) But I can't recall whether or not they can have different passwords.

I think you can, but it may not be officially supported by Apple. Maybe someone else could provide more info on that one.

EDIT: Looks like dXTC beat me to it already. :D

4. zelaya thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you guys for your support. I've the latest version A1354. I do remembered going to manual setup but I don't recall seeing advance mode. I need to check this tonight when I get home.

In regards to my daughter laptop and I guess I didn't explained myself correctly. My concern is that while using the laptop I went to utility folder/airport utility and I was able to see the router and it didn't ask me for a password even though it has one. Also I want to clear that I've my Macpro in wireless mode as well so it's not connected with a ethernet cable. Could that make a big differents. I normally do all my settings and changes with my macpro.

Again guys thank you and I'll keep you posted tomorrow.

5. DualShock macrumors 6502

Not sure what you mean:

1. If you mean that the router shows up in the list, an admin password can't prevent that. The router will always show up when you start the utility.

2. If you mean that the utility doesn't prompt for the password when you click the setup button, it's possible you saved the router's password in the Keychain. I believe there is a checkbox on the password prompt to save it. In that case you should delete it from the Keychain on your daughter's laptop.

6. zelaya thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Dualshock. I'll recap all this info tonight. I'm sure I didn't see all the options last night as I setup my router very late.

7. zelaya thread starter macrumors 6502

I was able to fixed the issue last night by unchecking the " save the password on keychain" and I erased the keychain in my daughter laptop so now it ask for a password for edit the settings. Thank you guys for all the help.