For those with bent iPhone 6/6+... (others, please don't participate in this thread)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mailboxbetacoin, Oct 21, 2014.

1. mailboxbetacoin macrumors 6502

I, like many here it sounds like, have a slightly bent iPhone 6+.
    I'd like to figure out if there is a pattern in the phones that bent with every day normal use, like a bad batch

My device:
    iPhone 6+ 64Gb, T-Mobile, space grey, ordered online from Apple Store in first few hours, received on September 24.
    Noticed bent after 15 days of use.

PS: If you're a naysayer, no need to spit your venom in this thread; we know your position and we don't need to hear it again. Thanks for your understanding.

2. crmcm macrumors member

Space gray 6/ 16gb/ Verizon. Preordered right when it went on sale.

3. Shikaka macrumors regular

6+ 64gb Gold ATT. Ordered from Apple.com, received Sept 19.

I used the Apple leather case from day one. After 1 week of normal front pocket carry, I noticed a very slight bend facing in the direction of the screen.

I exchanged the phone for other reasons and have not noticed any bend on the new 6+. However, I am super careful with the new phone. Basically removing it from my front pocket any time my leg has to make the slightest bend.

4. lichen86 macrumors newbie

6 plus 64gb sg AT&T, bought from Apple 9/20. Noticed the typical bend under volume buttons yesterday. Bend is very slight, noticed it during a meeting while phone was flat against a table and it wobbled. Cased from day 1 in Apple silicon. Front pocket carry but dont sit or drive with it pocketed.

5. mailboxbetacoin thread starter macrumors 6502

so so far we have three 6+ and one 6, all ordered/received in the fist couple of days

6. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

How many of you going careless?
    For those of u with cases, how do u remove the case?
    What type of case are you using?
    How often do you remove the case?

7. TwinCitiesJHawk macrumors 6502

TwinCitiesJHawk

6+ 64gb gold purchased apple.com on pre-order date and recieved day 1. Bent by volume buttons on oct 12 with case on since day 1. Only thing that could have caused it was sitting down when in front pocket of jeans, which wasnt very often. went to apple store to replace, and after much argument (said it was my fault and to pay $80) they finally replaced it for free as an exception.

Attached Files:

8. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Leave them alone.

This thread of everyone having this issue (even if it was from neglect or otherwise). Will be good for documenting the issue, and for proactive discussion for future reference if needed.

9. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

Noticed my 6+ is bent this morning. No idea how. Pre ordered on the same day it went live. Received 3 days later after official release. Silver 64gb bought from AT&T.

10. Timmeh8604 macrumors member

I believe he meant case-less, not careless lol.

11. bobloblaw23, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

bobloblaw23 macrumors newbie

My Verizon iPhone 6, Space Gray, 64 gb bent almost two Friday's ago. I bought it at a Verizon store the day after the release. The day it bent I was out at a bar, had the phone in a case, in my front pocket as usual. I had tighter jeans that night, but by no means skinny jeans. When i left I had the whole bendgate thing on my mind so checked my phone and sure enough it was noticeably bent by the volume buttons.

Went to the Apple store the next morning and they replaced it no problem. What's funny is while I was waiting at the Genius bar, another guy was asking an employee what they were doing about the whole bendgate thing and his reply was it was no big deal, it's only been reported to Apple by 9 people. Wanted to laugh knowing I was sitting there with a bent phone. When the employee walked away I showed the guy my phone and another employee kind of got bothered and told him, it only happens if you purposely apply force. Didn't feel like arguing and let it be.

Another funny part was the employee who replaced my phone, very nice guy by the way, analyzed the pants I was wearing and suggested if I had on pants like I was wearing at the time, to try and place my phone on the table when sitting down. Then he said, if I did have to have it in my pocket, make sure it was straight while in there.

Also wanted to add, when it happened I was really worried I was going to be stuck with a bent iPhone that was only 3 weeks old. After my experience at the Apple Store, this in no way deterred me from purchasing Apple products in the future, mostly due to the way the store handled it, providing a replacement on the spot, and ensuring me it would be sent to Apple for further testing.

12. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

so Apple genius are now fashion adviser teaching people how to dress. Lovely!

I'm just tired of Apple using the "9 people" BS. I know 5 people personally that have their phone bent (3 of them replaced after much argument and 2 of them had to pay), wonder if Apple actually consider them customers.

13. bobloblaw23 macrumors newbie

That's actually surprising to hear. They replaced mine without really having to say anything, figured this was the policy Apple had adopted on this issue. According to the employee, mine was the first they had seen at their store though.

14. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Meh, I wouldn't call BS on any of these guys, most of them have been around the forum for years, notice the join dates.

As much as I enjoy my 6+ I would have really enjoyed it more if I didn't think about that stupid bending issue! It could happen to you! Or me. That sucks.

I mean, all it takes is to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. What if you're wearing baggy jeans and the phone ends up sideways? It can still bend!

15. saab9573 macrumors 6502

saab9573

what does join date have to do with anything??

16. Caesars macrumors regular

I only know one person who has the +, his bent. Luckily my 6 has been good for at least a few weeks.
    Hopefully apple fixes this design flaw/obvious defect.

17. Jimbo58 macrumors newbie

Bent

Gold 6 128 GB. Ordered first day we could order

18. FlexPen76 macrumors regular

You're right. Join date shouldn't have anything to do with it. But, on some posts where users are saying their phone has bent, attention has been drawn by others to their join date being in the September or October 2014 time-frame, the inference being they have only joined to post 'Hey look at me my iPhone is bent too' and so are either shills / lying / looking for attention / has an agenda (*delete as appropriate), whereas a person who has been 'around' a few years seems to have more gravitas when they post.

I don't subscribe to the point of view that a new poster automatically has an agenda as I can understand why they would only join after the launch of a very popular device or have lurked for a while before feeling the need to post. But I hope that answers your query.

If you were being sarcastic, then please accept my apologies, my sarcasm detector is not working well today.

19. Xultar, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I was asking LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS!!!! There was NOTHING in the post RUDE.

I DID NOT DESERVE YOUR RUDE REPLY.

I think it is possible that taking some cases on and off can cause the bending depending on how you remove the case. Especially if the user presses on the top corners of the phone. Which means normal use DOES CAUSE BENDING in some devices.

I didn't indicate any thing with misuse or user fault.

You should apologize.

All I did was ask basic investigative questions that can help getting to the bottom of the issue. Which is what this thread was about...correct?

20. jpeg42, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2014

jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Settle down. You made the typo. It did look like another white Knight defending apple post. People just want to see one thread without this BS.

21. FlexPen76, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

FlexPen76 macrumors regular

You mean the coincidence that the phone was only launched late in September so people couldn't be bending it before that date?

And how do you know the first thing they have done is jump on MR? Maybe they tried the official Apple route and got no joy. Maybe they Googled / Binged / Yahoo'd iPhone is bent and on that day Macrumors was top of the pile.

Maybe they all just want to join in and get some comfort out of just realizing their new cherished iPhone has deformed in some way and they aren't alone. People are funny that way.

Then again, maybe you are right and they are all just trying to play all the mad apple apologists for chumps and getting a rise out of it.

Sure, I remember the antennagate thing also. I also remember the iphone 5 and 5s bending and scratch issues.

I just tried to answer your question about why the join date mattered.

Sorry about the derailment of the thread OP. Just thought I was being helpful.

22. wermy macrumors regular

This is just the kind of thread we've needed, so thanks. :)

I'd suggest also asking folks to type in their serial numbers here and pasting the results:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

That could provide some interesting insight as to whether phones from certain plants or manufacturing date ranges tend to have more issues.

Another interesting theory going around is that people with cases on seem to make up the majority of bent phone reports. Personally I'd chalk that up to the majority of users in general using cases, but it couldn't hurt to add that to your list of questions, too. :)

23. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

What typo. If I'm wrong I will apologize. But there was nothing in that post that indicated that I'm a knight defending blah blah blah...

I read the thread. They are gathering information and searching for answers.

If you are searching for answers questions must be asked. I wasn't rude. I didn't call people names. I didn't indicate whether or not I thought people were lying. I didn't put any opinion in the post at all.

I just asked legitimate questions...about cases and usage. How that got to be interpreted as an 'apple knight defender' or whatever is on the person misinterpreting. To me that means people are too sensitive and applying their sensitivites to others who may be trying to help. (Alienating people trying to help isn't a good strategy.)

I also can't believe that anyone hasn't considered at least that removing cases...which is normal use couldn't be a catalyst for the issue. Because putting pressure on certain spots can cause bending over time. Correct?

So, that means it is important to know if the people reporting bending are using cases, what type of cases, and how often they remove the cases.

But if people don't want to really gather information that can help...then just say so.

24. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Just re-read your post. You wrote careless instead of caseless. It is OK we know it was a mistake. Just understand why folks responded they way they did based on your autocorrect typo.

25. wermy macrumors regular

Your post asks "how many of you going careless?" which I guess could be construed as meaning "How many of these bends are user-error?" I think that's the typo people are referring to - the rest of your post makes it look like you meant to say "caseless."