For Those With Fan Buzzing (MBP Penryn)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skitzogreg, Apr 24, 2008.

1. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Well, this mainly applies to whoever owns a MBP Penryn:

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I sent my MBP to applecare on Monday to have the fan replaced (as well as a yellowing screen). Tuesday, my status on the repair center website is "On Hold". It's now Thursday, and they have escalated the issue to the engineering department.

They had to have me give detailed instructions on how to 'duplicate' the issues. I told Apple that for the screen issue, all they had to do was tilt/turn the screen (it's pretty obvious). The buzzing is obvious in a moderately quiet room. They still won't update the status page, and I have no idea if they will ever send me my computer back.

This is extremely frustrating, and I'm curious if anyone has ever had a problem like this with the service department (i.e. if you have ever had the computer 'on hold' or sent to engineering.:confused:

2. macffooky macrumors regular

If you want your MBP back, leave $500 in used bills in the rubbish bin outside the Apple Store in Palo Alto.

You have 24 hours or we start removing the keys....

3. snapper64 macrumors regular

I have just been on the phone with apple for the past hour explaining this problem and eventually ordering my second replacement (the first had problems with the screen).

I got transferred to about 5 different people, each seemingly from a different country and each needing me to explain the problem from the start and in great detail even though the first person that I spoke to said that he had made some detailed notes describing the problem.

The first person was from the tech support department and was actually really clear and helpful. I explained the problem (mine was so load he could hear it over the phone) and he ran through resetting the PRAM and asked me a few Q's. I explained that the fan speed was low (only 2000rpm) and that they were not running excessively quick and therefore causing the noise I could hear. He said he would transfer me to someone who had the authority to sort me out with a replacement. Things went downhill from there. I can't bear to go into the details, needless to say apple will be receiving a complaint.

4. skitzogreg thread starter macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

I just thought I would reply that my MBP has finally been repaired and is on its way. I'm seriously wondering with all of the hassle I was put through what kind of repairs were made.:confused:

5. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I have heard of replacement fans that fixed the problem. I'm sure they could replace the screen quick too. I think they know what screen has the problem. Good luck getting it fixed quick. I hope it is perfect now. Try not to worry, they will make it right.

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm so surprised at the 2.4Ghz mbp's having all these problems.