For those with iMac HDD+SSD Combo...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ayeying, May 7, 2012.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

When you first turn on your machine, what is the configuration like for it?

Is it: A blank HDD and everything installed on SSD? Is there a name given to the HDD if that configuration is installed? Is it factory, that the user account is automatically directed to the HDD and not the SSD?

2. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

3. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

4. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

From what I understand, everything is installed on the SSD from the factory.

5. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

This is correct.

I think the SSD is Macintosh HD and the HDD is Macintosh HD 2.

6. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

On Saturday I received the SSD + 2TB model.

Out of the box, everything was loaded on the SSD. The 2TB drive was mounted as Macintosh HD 2.

7. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

from factory everything(Mac OS,iLife) is installed on the SSD as a faster drive but its no matter because you can do what you prefer.

8. woodztream macrumors newbie

Is it worth it?

I'm thinking of buying an iMac with ssd + hdd. But how will the fact that all of my working files lives on the hdd and my applications lives on the ssd impact performance?

Would it be better to have everything on the ssd?

Best regards / Micke :)

9. cypress822 macrumors regular

exactly the same concern of many.

As far as i understand, the program itself will open up very quickly when installed on the ssd.

However, for example, if you have all your videos and photos on the hhd (and the actual programs of iPhoto and iMovie on the ssd), it will still "operate" at the same speed as if the program itself was on the hhd--the only difference is the program will open up very quickly.

Please let me know if i am wrong anyone...

This is why i am holding out for a hopefully 500gb ssd option for the new iMac

10. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Depends on the work you do as pro video editor i have my apps and cache files in my internal ssd raid and the footage to my esata.As a general rule can do the same have the apps and cache files in your ssd and the footage in HDD.

11. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

The overall system performance will be improved, not just the speed applications open. The OS performs many activities behind the scene that involve use of the main drive (in this case the SSD), most importantly disk aching and memory paging.

Large data files that open off the HDD will be cached to the SDD. If memory paging requires any extensive use of the disk this is where you will see the most benefit of an SSD. My Macbook Air only has 2GB of RAM so it often pages memory to its SSD disk, which barely affects system performance unlike my iMac. Should it take to paging memory extensively to the HDD, system performance can sometimes become unbearable.

The most seamless setup for a SSD+HDD config would be to use the advanced settings under User & Groups to relocate all user folders to the HDD. Then OS and Applications would operate from the SSD and user data would automatically point to the HDD.

12. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

13. cypress822 macrumors regular

ugh...now im confused again...just what and how do i put on the hhd--in very simple terms?? :)

I think i know how to put the user file on the hhd...but the last post it talking about doing certain files manually...which files and exactly how do you do that?

14. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Music, Videos, Pictures, Documents.

15. TX328F macrumors newbie

When you have the SSD + HD combination, can you keep the OS and the most commonly used programs in the SDD and then turn off the HD when you don't need it? The purpose would be to eliminate the faint noise from the HD, and use it mainly for back up purpose.

16. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

If I remember correctly, when I received my 256GB+2TB iMac it was already configured such that the apps went on the SSD and the user account folders were directed to the HDD.

Remember, this is Apple we're talking about. They're going to make it as easy as possible for the customer to get their computer up and running and they're going to preconfigure it to work optimally and correctly...right out of the box.

----------

At least with my iMac, you can't hear the hard drive at all in the normal configuration. And if your goal is to use the internal HD solely as a back up, then you and your wallet would be better off just buying a cheap external drive to use as backup.

17. mlynchmob16 macrumors regular

I am thinking about buying one of these SSD/HDD combos as well.

I was wondering if it is possible to partition the HDD and install Windows via Boot Camp. Will I be able to boot from the HDD or does it always auto-boot from the SSD?

Hope that makes sense.

18. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

You can partition the disk of your choice and you select from system preferences.startup disk from what partition you want to boot.

19. woodztream macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for all your responses! I think I will opt for the ssd+hdd. Now if Apple would just update the frakin' iMac. I have been holding since february.

20. cypress822 macrumors regular

Documents i don't have to worry about---i use dropbox.

But what are the actual names of the files i need to move to the hdd for iTunes and iMovie library???

----------

I need to clarify my above post. What I will be doing is buying a brand new iMac with ssd preinstalled and my os already on my ssd.

i plan on using migration assistant to use my time machine back up to transfer my music and videos over to my new iMac hhd. How to i specify that i want those files to go to the hhd and not the ssd then???
    Also, which specific files must i choose for to transfer my music and videos? Or is there an easier way?