All iPads For those with iPad Air already

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Nov 1, 2013.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

How is the speed of the MIMO wifi? any noticeable difference compared to previous models?

How is the speed of gaming such as racing games?

Any other noticeable differences from previous models?

2. AppleRobert macrumors 603

We'll I started the download of all the apps available through the setup process and all we're completed after I checked in about 20 minutes. I did not check before that so maybe it was even faster. I do not consider the speed of wifi at my local library something to write home about usually either to tell the truth.

3. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Wifi was significantly faster downloading my back up this time around.

4. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

You were pegging your internet connection with your wifi?

Anyway, the Air feels significantly faster than the mini. The keyboard is FINALLY fluid on iOS 7, which feels great for Pages and Evernote. It's just stupid light considering the size, and the smart covers are finally pretty awesome. I passed on them for my last 5 iPads, but this one feels like a winner to me.

5. Centris 650 macrumors 6502a

Centris 650

Very nice! It's light....super light. You can't appreciate it until you hold one.
    Browsing seems fast. Pages popping up quickly. I've not played any games yet since I'm still downloading apps.

It's an amazing piece of technology. Did I mention how light it was?

6. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I'll echo the others. Light, snappy. Browsing does seem faster than the 4.

7. iKimm macrumors member

I am upgrading from the original iPad. Frankly, I am in AWE. SUPER DUPER FAST!!! True love! Very, very happy!!!! :)

8. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Real Racing 3 took 6 minutes to download. I do not think that is unreasonable.

Matter of fact, I'm rather patient and however long something takes is OK so long as I don't see the install gimping along. Which then I would attribute to the wifi where I'm at currently anyway.

Maybe I'll uninstall RR3 and download the game side by side with my Mini and see what happens for the heck of it.

I'm almost wondering if there should be a dedicated section on MR for tech talk like benchmarks, download speeds, reloads of web pages etc. etc.

Millions upon millions of people use Ipads and a very very high percentage of those are content just plugging along reading, browsing, playing games, etc. etc. without any regard to that stuff.

9. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

This page, http://www.businessinsider.com/clusterstock/ is a brutal test for wifi, rendering, and scrolling. It's photo-heavy, script-heavy, ad-heavy, and a very long page. Even my 2012 MBP with i7 stutters on it.

In the store, the Air was completely smooth scrolling on this page, and load was amazingly fast.

Work network is slow, so I'll check this out on my Air when I get home tonight.

10. MagicTorch macrumors newbie

Picked up an iPad Air today (replacing an iPad4).

I have my router connected to an Airport Express. Via Airport Utility, my iPad 4 would report a data rate of 150Mb/s, but the data rate showing for my iPad Air is 300Mb/s.

My broadband speed is advertised as max download speed of 76mb. If I connect a laptop to my router via Ethernet, a Speed Test normally reports a download speed of 72-75mb (I am close to the FTTC cabinet, so pretty much receive the max advertised speed). The same Speed Test on the iPad 4 typically reported a speed anywhere between 60 -67mb (never went higher than 67mb). On the iPad Air, I have run a few Speed Tests & they have reported download speeds ranging from 72mb - 75mb.

Hope this gives you an idea of the level of improvement to expect.