Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
just curious to where you guys are you using your apple tv 1 & 2's in your household. I have my :apple: tv 1 in my bedroom where i can load up a movie from my mb pro and watch it without having the lid open. My :apple:tv 2 i have in the living room with the big tv so i can watch my nba tv highlights and netflix. Netflix looks great on the 52 inch.

how about you guys where and why ?

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Living Room, Bedroom and just recently added a 3rd AppleTV (ATV1) in my spare room/office. In that room it's used like an Airport Express to stream music from my Mini (which resides in the Living Room). I have it hooked up to an old LCD via DVI giving me the added benefit of seeing what's playing. That's the only one that's stock & not running XBMC (yet, anyhow).

irishv

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
My old ATV1 is in the bedroom now connected to a wall mounted 32-inch TV. Since most of my newer movies and tv shows are encoded for higher quality, the ATV can't play them. It ends up primarily used for podcasts or music.

A Mac mini took over duty in the living room for OTA TV recording, Movies/TV Shows and various streaming in Plex. Using Airplay I can stream music in both rooms and control with my iPhone. I also have an original Airport Express only being used as a print server for now.

We're moving to a new house soon, so I'm trying to figure out how exactly I'll set everything up. Once we're in I'll probably pick up a new ATV2 or two and sell the ATV1. I'm also keeping an eye on some of the new Airplay devices, especially the iHome iW1.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
ATV2 in the kitchen; ATV2 in the lounge; ATV1 in our bedroom and ATV1 in Daughter's bedroom
The two ATV1s were originally in the Kitchen and Lounge and were moved once we got a couple of ATV2s to replace them

rmciii

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Saudi Arabia
2 of each

:apple: TV 1 and 2 in den on big screen (55 inch) 720p. 1 used for streaming avi files via ATVFlash the 2 used for NetFlix.
:apple: TV 2 in master bedroom on 37 inch HDTV 720p

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
you guys sound like you have nice setups. anybody using :apple:TV1 & :apple:tv2 on the same tv. I am for now. Just to compare the differences. So far Im liking my combo of the apple tv1 and ps3 because i get netflix on ps3 and I can watch movies or listen to my stored music without needing to have my laptop open. :D

gdeusthewhizkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
NY|NJ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Living Room, Bedroom and just recently added a 3rd AppleTV (ATV1) in my spare room/office. In that room it's used like an Airport Express to stream music from my Mini (which resides in the Living Room). I have it hooked up to an old LCD via DVI giving me the added benefit of seeing what's playing. That's the only one that's stock & not running XBMC (yet, anyhow).

you have apple tv 1 and mini running in the living room ?

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I keep meaning to hook my JB ATV1 to my tv in the garage, and my other ATV to my 2nd tv in my basement so when my son is watching netflix in the basement im not forced to watch Dora or Diego.....:eek:

NeoMac

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
I have the following set up:

ATV2 Main Bedroom
ATV2 Kitchen
ATV2 Living Room

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I have an :apple:tv 2 in the family/living room. It gets used quite a bit.

My other :apple:tv 2 is in the master bedroom, and it's used during two situations: When my wife and I want to wind down at the end of the night with a TV episode available via NetFlix or my iTunes library, or when my wife is watching something in the family room and my daughter wants to watch one of her movies from my library.

(I can't say it enough: :apple:tv + HandBrake is a knockout combo for families with children. My daughter can see her Disney and other family movies instantly from an easily-operable menu, and we avoid scratching the original DVDs beyond recognition.)

Last edited:

Dannymonky

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2007
Rats Mouth, Fl
I just bought my second ATV2. I keep one in the kids room (32" LCD) and one in the living room (52" LCD). Both use Netflix and stream movies from an external HD on the network and from XBMC's multiple plug-ins. I ordered an extra power cable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J0AON4 and now bring the Living room ATV2 upstairs to the bedroom at night. Just leave the extra HDMi & power cord tucked away when the box is downstairs. Living room ATV2 is controlled w/ a Harmony One and me & my wifes iPhones when were too lazy to get up. We use Rowmote Pro on the iPhones--Highly recommend. Now when my PS3 gets back from repair I might just leave the Living room ATV2 in the bedroom...

SurfMacJpMtb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
USA
you guys sound like you have nice setups. anybody using :apple:TV1 & :apple:tv2 on the same tv. I am for now. Just to compare the differences. So far Im liking my combo of the apple tv1 and ps3 because i get netflix on ps3 and I can watch movies or listen to my stored music without needing to have my laptop open. :D

Yes, they are connected to different HDMI ports. Originally for comparison and (more random) slide shows. It has now been unplugged to save electricity.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA

Yup. I have ATV1 and ATV2 both connected to my home theater receiver. I use the ATV1 mostly for audio. The disk is big enough to store all the music I commonly play, and the analog outputs allow me to connect it to my "zone 2" patio speakers. Being able to control it remotely with the iPhone Remote app is brilliant!

I use the ATV2 for video both because of Netflix and because it handles HD so much better than ATV1. I can now rip my Blu-Ray disks and use Handbrake to make very good 720P files for the ATV2 (as well as my iPad).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.