Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cassr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2021
Just curious as to which iPad you reach for the most and why ?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Apologizing in advance for a goofy answer...

I have a first-generation iPad rocking iOS 5.1.1 and a first-generation iPad Pro 12.9-inch on *iPadOS 15.2 beta. The Pro gets all the usage, 1000%.

But then to use the original I'd need to find a 30-pin cable and hope the battery can actually hold a charge. But it still works great for black screen work. Love the huge bezel, the square in the middle of the Home button is totally to die for (and none of that creepy Touch ID to worry about). Oh, and the camera... well, the 30-pin Camera Adapter.

Pop quiz: How many more cameras does iPhone 13 Pro have than that first-gen iPad?

Hey, I found a 30-pin to USB-A cable while looking for the Camera Adapter! Wish me luck! At least the battery hasn't expanded. Yet.

Hmmm, not booting. Think it's a bad cable? Hope not, there's no freakin' chance I've got another one of those things kicking around.

OMG, I see an Apple logo!

Boot loop :confused:

Wow, a blue iTunes logo on the Recovery Mode screen. Now that takes me back!

No, not going to try to restore it in Finder. At least, not tonight.

I wonder if Apple is still serving-up the 5.1.1 IPSW?

And is it any surprise that if I disconnect from charger it doesn't even boot loop? Lousy battery life, planned obsolescence, yada, yada. Ya think a nearly-12-year-old Tesla with original batteries would start up?

So at the end of 7 innings the score remains first-gen iPad Pro 12.9-inch 1000%, first-gen iPad 0%

------------------

* Damn, I skipped right past iPadOS 15.1.1 and didn't even realize I was passing the exactly-10-major-versions milestone. It's exactly the gap between Snow Leopard and Big Sur! Boy, time flies when you're having fun. Then again, my Early 2008 iMac came with Leopard. Imagine if that iMac was like that original iPad (shipped with iOS 3.2, maximum iOS 5.1.1). The maximum OS X it could run would have been Lion! Meantime, that Pro came with iOS 9.1... so we're six major versions along. Original iPad got 2 major versions (iOS 3.2 to iOS 5.1.1), just like the original iPhone (iOS 1.0 - iOS 3.1.3). And people complain that they can't update iPhone 6 (which started with iOS 8.0) beyond iOS 12.5.4. Kids these days! They don't know how good they have it! And then there's iPhone 6s. 6s has run the gamut from iOS 9 to iOS 15.x (are you noticing a trend here, people?).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jessica Lares

Australianapplefan

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2019
Australia
I got a iPad Pro 12.9 2018 and a iPad mini 6, I use the iPad Pro daily on a twelve south Hoverbar duo (look it up its a beauty) next to my MacBook I mainly use the mini for on the go and camping I got the cellular models

Reactions: kakaluma83

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
From least to most used:

- mini 4 (wifi 64GB, IOS 14.8): hardly used, since I replaced with my mini 5, but cannot sell it because the battery is dead and instead of selling for $20-30 I keep is as part of the collection

- 10.5 pro (LTE 256GB. IOS 15): replaced by the 11 pro but has the white spot so I cannot sell it for any decent amount (over $100), main use is as a second monitor for my laptop for my university classes (duet display, also used to draw charts for my students via a projector) and as temporary replacement when my other iPads pro are charging, and to beta test iPadOS

- mini 5 (LTE 64 GB, IOS 14.8): mainly used in bed when I wake up, and for travels (I used it much more before Covid, since then it doesn't get much use as I hardly ever use it at home other than in bed)

- Mini 2 (wifi 16GB, IOS 10.3): I have been using it for years for my dance school (my secondary job) for a 32 bit music app for which I found no 64bit replacement. Battery still pretty good. Also for my 32bit games never updates to 64bit. Will stay on IOS 10 forever. Used almost every day since I give classes almost every day. Plan to use it for at least 10 more years

- iPad pro 9.7 (LTE 128, IOS 13.4): replaced pen (pencil 1) and paper for my dance school (payments, lists etc.). Used almost every day just like the mini 2. Since it has my second SIM card, it's also used if I need a cellular iPad on the go (with either smart keyboard or logitech create). Plan to use it until battery holds a decent charge, hopefully another 6-8 years.

- iPad pro 12.9 (2015, IOS 14.8): used on my desk as a sidecar secondary monitor for my M1 mac mini and also as notification device for my secondary accounts (secondary facebook, secondary messenger etc. since IOS cannot have 2 accounts, contrary to Android). Also as a PDF and PPT viewer. Battery was replaced in January. Plan to keep it forever (even when the battery dies in 8-10 years), even if just as a secondary monitor. Used with logitech combo touch keyboard with trackpad, pencil 1 and MOFT stand.

- iPad pro 11 (2018, 1TB, LTE) and iPad pro 12.9 (2018, 256GB, Wifi). Both on 14.8, with Magic Keyboards and pencil 2.
Both my most used iPad at home for videos, remote desktop, reading, replying to messages and everything I don't need a laptop for. Hard to say which one I use more, probably the 12.9.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I got the 2020 11” iPad Pro with magic keyboard and the iPad mini 6.
i used to take my iPP with me everywhere in the past, and what I used to do a lot of my work. Now I find myself using the mini instead, as it’s much easier to carry around.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I have a 12.9 (2020) with a Magic Keyboard, and a Mini 6.

I use the 12.9 daily at my desk and my Mini 6 mostly during evenings/weekends or out and about.

They compliment each other well
I have a similar usage and setup. My daily work involves my M1 12.9" on either the Lululook Urban Desktop Stand or on the Magic Keyboard, and I use that in conjunction with my Mac Mini.

But whenever I'm off that setup, I carry the Mini 6 wherever I go. It's my go to device to wind down and relax.

Reactions: arefbe and Hallstar

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I was using a 256 Air 3 with the smart keyboard, I was inherited a 10.5 Pro and now I reach for that a lot more than the Air 3 because of the quad speakers and display. My 10.5 is 64GB tho. I left both of them on iPadOS 14.8.1. 15 home screen is lame on iPads.

stooie3000

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
I currently have the following:

Mini 5 - used to stream to Apple TV in cinema room.
Mini 6 - stays next to my bed for watching videos and listening to audiobooks/podcasts before bed
iPad Pro 11" (2020) - used for work (email, note taking with Apple Pencil, video analysis (I'm a sports coach))
iPad Pro 12" (2018) - used for sketching in my free time or watching movies on when I'm travelling.

I was so excited for the 'full-screen' mini 6 as I thought it would be my ideal iPad, apart from drawing where the extra screen real estate of the 12.9 would be better.

As it turns out I find myself using the 11" Pro the most, despite it really originally being intended for work. For me it seems to sufficiently combine the ease of use/handling of the mini with the usable size of the 12.9. I still enjoy having the others for the reasons stated above, but I found it weird that I instinctively go for the middle-ground the most. If I had to only have one, it would be the 11" Pro.

Stu

PS - still learning to adapt to the difference between the mini and the Pro's with regards to unlocking. I stare at the mini waiting for FaceID to unlock it, or find myself feeling for the power button to unlock the Pro's ?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
iPad Air 4 64Gb: My main iPad. Also the one the wife primarily uses.
iPad Air 2 32Gb: The kids use it for games and streaming.
iPad 2 32Gb: Streaming and a few games. Not a good experience at all, so only used when both kids wants to do something separately, and mostly only the youngest one because he isn't so critical.

Wish for a 12" iPad Pro, but only for playing Civilization VI, so I am not planning on getting it.. :D

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
For about 18 months I used both an 11" IPP and a 12.9", the 12.9 with a Magic keyboard. The 12.9" never left my desk and was mostly used Mon-Fri for running my favorite stock program. Two weeks ago I picked up a bargain on a 13" M1 MBP and it is now replacing the 12.9" iPad.

As for the OP question, as an iPad, the 11" got used much more aka I took it with me very often when I went out for coffee, lunch etc. Or if I knew I was going to be waiting in the car for an extended period of time. The 11" fit perfectly in my steering wheel center for watching YT or something else. The 11" is a cellular model so it works great when I am traveling. It is also the one I take when I go to my cabin for the weekend.

I am very likely going to sell the 12.9 now that I have the M1. The M1 also runs the iPad version of my stock program so that is a very nice feature.

Unless something changes in iPad world, I will likely keep upgrading the 11" IPP but not likely get another 12.9".

I also have an older iPad, ver 4 I think it is, and it also gets used mostly on weekends at my cabin, it is my bedtime video system. Battery still runs it all night if I fall asleep with it running.

Reactions: koigirl

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
From most used to least used:

iPad Air 4 256GB LTE & iPad Pro 10.5 512 GB LTE (iOS 14.8) - used alternately, Air 4 is usually the EDC/purse iPad because it has the best battery life while the Pro 10.5 is primarily used at home

iPad Pro 12.9 (2021) 1TB 5G (iOS 14.8) - docked third screen at the office, PDF markup and notes, home-use is mainly reading American comics

iPad mini 6 256GB 5G (iOS 15) - basically so I can have a bigger display than my iPhone while fitting in my jacket pocket

iPad 7th gen 32GB Wi-Fi (iOS 15 Beta) - cheapie model ($229) left in the office, used for side-by-side PDF annotations via Logitech Crayon along with the Air 4, I think Apple's offering $200 trade in so I've been considering swapping it for the 9th gen

iPad Pro 9.7 256GB LTE (iOS 14.8) - crap battery so only gets used when both Air and Pro 10.5 are charging

iPad mini 4 128GB Wi-Fi (iOS 10.3) - used for 32-bit apps, surprisingly has the best standby battery among the bunch

I also just ordered a 2021 iPad Pro 11 1TB 5G (Best Buy, $150 discount) to replace the Pro 10.5 instead of waiting for even deeper discounts or Apple refurb stock. I wanted to have the option of keeping it on iOS 14 and I'm afraid if I waited any longer, they might start shipping with iOS 15. Besides, the Pro 10.5's battery is pretty worn out, too, though not as badly as the Pro 9.7's.

agent mac

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2007
Just curious as to which iPad you reach for the most and why ?
Brilliant thread! With some guilt I recently bought the new iPad mini because I was finding an 11” iPad Pro just a bit heavy for my new thing of reading Dune as a kindle book.
I do like the smaller form for extended reading, but for everyday stuff it’s just what is closest.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
  • iPad Pro 12.9" (2021): It is my main iPad with the Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil to be both a table and laptop replacement. I use it for everything from web browsing, to comics, to watching TV. Unless I'm doing something Mac-specific then I'm on this device.
  • iPad mini (2021): I only have this device because I was able to get it for free from my firm's "appreciation store." I've adapted to use this as my "disconnected" device (no notifications and fewer apps) for reading, music, and podcasts in the evenings or in times where the larger iPad is too cumbersome (such as sitting in the floor with my rabbit). I use it maybe an hour or so a day.

Reactions: ericwn

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
12.9 M1 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard gets 95% of the use every day. IPad mini 6 gets the other 5%. That is on a regular day. But sometimes I put the mini 6 on a Nulaxy tablet stand side by side with the 12.9, and it actually is pretty useful to separate tasks, so the usage changes to around 75-25%. I’m hoping that some day I’ll be able to move my cursor to the edge of the iPad Pro and it’ll drop over to the mini a-la-universal-control, but I’m not holding my breath.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
12.9 M1 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard gets 95% of the use every day. IPad mini 6 gets the other 5%. That is on a regular day. But sometimes I put the mini 6 on a Nulaxy tablet stand side by side with the 12.9, and it actually is pretty useful to separate tasks, so the usage changes to around 75-25%. I’m hoping that some day I’ll be able to move my cursor to the edge of the iPad Pro and it’ll drop over to the mini a-la-universal-control, but I’m not holding my breath.

I have the same devices, less the MK (and also in Seattle, judging from your avatar) and about the same usage patterns. The Mini 6 gets its greatest use for reading Kindle books - beats out my Oasis for that. But the Mini 6 also has 5G and is great for out and about here in Seattle where I'm getting up to 600Mb/sec over T-Mobile.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I have 12.9 IPP, Mini (2 I think) and and 9.7 iPad. My wife loves the Mini and is getting a Mini 6 for Xmas, I love the 12.9 IPP.

My wife uses the iPad for media consumption / browsing. Where as I have the MK and use the IPP a lot 'heavier'. The IPP is used a LOT, the kids use it too. I just love the screen real estate of 12.9.

Reactions: ericwn

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
iPad mini 4 128GB Wi-Fi (iOS 10.3) - used for 32-bit apps, surprisingly has the best standby battery among the bunch
I can confirm this, and it's not the mini 4, it's IOS 10.3. It has much, much better stand-by battery life than any version of iPadOS. Mini mini 2 is on the same OS for the same reason, and while battery is 80% of the full capacity, stand-by time is huge, it loses like 1-2% at night, while my other iPads on iPadOS 14 lose anywhere from 5% to 15% per night. Once I even found it at the same percentage the day after! (and it was not 100%, which is never actual 100% and artificially lasts much longer than any other value by design on Apple devices)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I can confirm this, and it's not the mini 4, it's IOS 10.3. It has much, much better stand-by battery life than any version of iPadOS. Mini mini 2 is on the same OS for the same reason, and while battery is 80% of the full capacity, stand-by time is huge, it loses like 1-2% at night, while my other iPads on iPadOS 14 lose anywhere from 5% to 15% per night. Once I even found it at the same percentage the day after! (and it was not 100%, which is never actual 100% and artificially lasts much longer than any other value by design on Apple devices)

Well, better standby battery than iOS versions released after 10.3.

On my devices, best ever standby battery life on iPad goes to the iPad 4 + iOS 6.

That said, I agree. There’s just too much background processing crap on later iPadOS firmware.

Reactions: Digitalguy

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
My 2018 Pro. Because everything about it is better than my older Pro (larger screen, speed, Face ID, etc).

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
My Mini 5 is my primary, but the iPP 9.7 gets a lot of use on the side for watching video content and on the spin bike

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
I have a 12.9 (2020) with a Magic Keyboard, and a Mini 6.

I use the 12.9 daily at my desk and my Mini 6 mostly during evenings/weekends or out and about.

They compliment each other well

I have the same combination. The 12.9 (2020) is my work "laptop" for long form writing, lesson prep, and Powerpoint/whiteboard during Zoom classes on my iMac. It's my content-creation device.

The Mini 6 is used for reading books and watching videos. It's my content-consumption device.

I am nearsighted. I wear my glasses to use the 12.9 iPP. I take them off most of the time when I'm using the Mini 6, which is mostly in bed as I'm winding down for the day.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well, better standby battery than iOS versions released after 10.3.

On my devices, best ever standby battery life on iPad goes to the iPad 4 + iOS 6.

That said, I agree. There’s just too much background processing crap on later iPadOS firmware.
Have you experimented with adjusting the Background App Refresh settings? Since my mini is a very focused device I’m thinking of doing that to prioritize battery life. I’m hoping to only charge it maybe once or twice a week.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Have you experimented with adjusting the Background App Refresh settings? Since my mini is a very focused device I’m thinking of doing that to prioritize battery life. I’m hoping to only charge it maybe once or twice a week.

I’ve tried completely disabling both Background App Refresh and Siri but standby battery remained the same.

With that said, it’s mostly just the older iPads with X chipsets that have bad active and standby battery life (Air 2 A8X, Pro 9.7 A9X, Pro 10.5 A10X and Pro 12.9 A10X). Have to charge those at least once a week even without any usage.

It’s just that the iPad 4 + iOS 6 had exceptional standby battery life (honestly feels similar to my Kindle’s). Iirc, I could leave it alone for a month and it would still have juice remaining for a couple hours of web browsing.

Reactions: Traverse

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I’ve tried completely disabling both Background App Refresh and Siri but standby battery remained the same.

With that said, it’s mostly just the older iPads with X chipsets that have bad active and standby battery life (Air 2 A8X, Pro 9.7 A9X, Pro 10.5 A10X and Pro 12.9 A10X). Have to charge those at least once a week even without any usage.

It’s just that the iPad 4 + iOS 6 had exceptional standby battery life (honestly feels similar to my Kindle’s). Iirc, I could leave it alone for a month and it would still have juice remaining for a couple hours of web browsing.
I had an iPad 3 (“the new iPad”) which had its issues, but I never remember getting overly bothered by battery life even when it was 3 years old whereas my 10.5” iPad Pro had noticeable battery degradation.

I suppose iOS just does a lot more now.

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.