For those with scuffs on their black phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IUBall22, Oct 5, 2012.

1. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

Does simply using a black sharpie "fix" the problem?

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Nope, but growing up and getting a sense of priorities in life does!

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

i would say - +1

4. mebehere macrumors regular

My 5 arrived unblemished. After a day or two of nothing but pocket and soft resting place on desk, I had a scuff. I hit it with a black sharpie. When I angled it under certain light, the sharpie-hit area looked kinda purple. Didn't like it.

It seems to have worn off since then. I can see silver if I look closely (I've stopped looking closely), and I can feel the scuff if I run my finger up/down the edge (don't run my finger up/down it anymore). I don't think it's the right coverup necessarily, but I've stopped inspecting my phone. I just use it now.

This is not advice. Just my experience.

5. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Unnecessarily insulting people on the internet also speaks a lot about a person's priorities.

6. IUBall22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed.

I never said this was my priority. Regardless, my priorities should not be your concern.

7. mebehere macrumors regular

Don't mind the fools who think they can walk in your shoes. The world is specific to you through your own experiences. The shoe companies would sell it as precise customization. You're a step ahead of fools. Knowing that is good support.

8. AAPLinc, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I wonder how long the sharpie will last before rubbing off though...

9. SporkLover macrumors 6502

X2. My experience with black sharpie vs black anodized aluminum is that it stands out as purple.

10. MacBreezy macrumors regular

Why even waist the time to post that? The guy has a legit question. Don't be a... Well you know what you are.

11. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I think this is also because the black 5 looks gunmetal-ish too. And sharpie has a glossy finish.

12. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Do you mean "waste" the time or truly "waist" the time, because that would be strange...

Anyway, the point is that there are SOOOOO many threads about this that it seems less than genuine to start a new one either to be spoon fed or simply be a drama queen about it. Do a search, read the first page of posts, either way the answer would be found. Many of us come here to read about genuinely new thoughts, findings, or issues to address. The scuff crap has been covered to the point of being driven into the ground.

13. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

you're a jerk.

14. MacBreezy macrumors regular

Nobody makes you read anything. YOU clicked on the thread and YOU chose to read it. If YOU are tired of reading about scuffed phones then don't open threads that have "scuffs" in the title. Seems simple enough to me...

People come here for many different reasons. Your comment was completely uncalled for and useless. There was no drama until YOU posted. Use the forum for what you need it for and move on. For an English major like yourself it shouldn't be that hard to understand.

15. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Same here. Had a tiny nick in the aluminum right out of the box, can see silver. I tried a sharpie. Looked purple and the reflection wasn't right. I rubbed it off and got most of it off. Looks better without it. I've since put a transparent case on it. Looks good and is protected.

If the original damage had been any worse I would have taken it in for a replacement. But I figured they didn't have any anyway. I did call around for a few days checking if they had any whites come in. I had ordered another one in black that came in 9/21. I was able to drive around and found a white one in stock and swapped. The white one is perfect.

16. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Disappointed to hear this. I have black and it's currently flawless but being a regular on these forums I know sooner or later I'll probably have an issue. I just figured I'd use a Sharpee and keep on truckin. Guess not. :(

17. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd