Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
I find that I am not taking my iPad Pro off the keyboard that much and just using it as a tablet. In my mind, I think of it being more of a fun device when using as a tablet/consumption device... and not as entertaining when using it docked in the keyboard.. as a laptop, if you will. Either way though, I love the keyboard and it’s opened up a whole other way of using this device.

Reactions: GuruZac

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
What size do you have? I find I use it as a hybrid. Keyboard when typing or browsing if desk bound and if I find something long form to read, I detach it and read tablet style.
For video viewing, unless it’s short, it’s docked. No need to hold it for that. Ebook reading is tablet mode for sure.

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I have left mine attached to the Magic Keyboard constantly, however, I have an iPad Mini for “entertainment purposes

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
12.9. I’m sure lll start using it more in tablet mode soon.. just need to force myself to take it off the case. It’s a joy to use either way to be honest..

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
To be honest I think I’ve been using it a bit more as a tablet than I used to. I never really had found a case I liked on my 12.9”. They were heavy or kind of bulky. I finally settled with a simple on from Amazon. Now I can easily pop the iPad off the MK and use it as a tablet with no case and it feels great.

Reactions: Arran

Deep.sky

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
A lot more as a tablet. The dockable nature of the AMK makes it work better as such. However, I go into tablet mode only when I am reading, I have found that browsing the internet works better with the AMK. When I had the SKF, I never took it out of the case because it was not designed to be taken out at the drop of a hat and then put back at the drop of a hate.

Oreon

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2011
No exclusively as a laptop, its completely removed my desire to buy a MacBook Pro after owning them for years and selling one to buy the 12.9 iPad Pro when it was released.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I need it to be both so I use it for both. What I'm finding though is that the addition of the MK forced me to re-think the WAY I use it as a tablet, since the keyboard part doesn't fold all the way to the back. What I decided to do was put a skin on the back, sides, and camera assembly of the iPad Pro for peace of mind when it comes to scratches and scuffs and then I just pop it right off the MK and start using it.

I did not think I would like using the 12.9" model as a tablet as much, but I might actually like it more. I totally get where some of you are torn on this though. Sometimes it's easier to just leave it in laptop mode and not worry about it.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I find that I am not taking my iPad Pro off the keyboard that much and just using it as a tablet. In my mind, I think of it being more of a fun device when using as a tablet/consumption device... and not as entertaining when using it docked in the keyboard.. as a laptop, if you will. Either way though, I love the keyboard and it’s opened up a whole other way of using this device.

I use my iPad for writing *a lot.*. And that doesn't work well with the MKB. That hasn't turned out to be a problem because it's so easy to peel the iPad off the MKB. The upside is that I've been reminded what a tactile pleasure it is to hold a bare iPad. The iPP family is so thin - it's a great experience, as I'm sure Jobs would have wanted.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
The same? I use it as a tablet hours and hours a day while drawing on an online whiteboard while teaching. My MK is great as a keyboard when I need a keyboard and as an essentially wireless charging dock. I pop it out of the MK and into the smart folio most of the time, as that has my favorite drawing angle. And for around the house, playing Civ 6, smart folio. :)

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
At present I am using as a laptop attached to the magic keyboard, because I use as tablet regularly only for playing music, and am not getting out to play music at the present time. I am sure once life returns to normal, I will use as tablet again almost every day.

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
It hasn’t changed my use of the iPad Pro as a tablet at all. In fact, I will undock it from the magic keyboard and then prop it up using the magic keyboard to look at Instagram.

drkknte

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
I’m actually using my iPad in tablet mode a lot more now that is easily detachable from the keyboard. I was using the Brydge Pro before the magic keyboard and it was a bit of a pain with attaching/detaching.

Reactions: newellj

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I use my iPad about 90% of the time in the keyboard case. I’ve done it this way since my first IPP (ie the 9.7 inch one). For the other 10% of the time (ie lying on the sofa, in bed, on a plane, etc...) I picked up a smart folio that I got on clearance for around $45. So, I just throw the iPad in that when I want to use it more as a tablet. Wow does the 11 inch IPP feel light and slim when I put in in the smart folio. I really like having both!

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I hardly used it as a table any more since I got the magic keyboard. Instead I just use my phone.

Petey07

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Likewise, I haven’t really use the iPad as a “tablet”, but using it a lot more with the keyboard... I just enjoy typing on the keyboard while using the iPad OS... before with the iPad Air 1gen, i didn’t really use too much of the iPad because it was slow and laggy, and using the iPhone XS Max was more “handy”... but now with the IPP 12.9 2020 with the AMK... I don’t really use the iPhone as much since i prefer typing on the AMK on the iPad while using iPad OS Lol... I also have the pencil... which i don’t really have much use and was thinking of returning it because I’m not really using the iPad as a “tablet”

Bevie Bev

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
I definitely find myself using the ipad as a tablet a bit more now than before. I like to draw and take notes so when I do, off the MKB it goes. It feels nice and fluid. I also have a spare iPad composition case I use when I’m out and about for errands and I know I won’t be typing as much.

Reactions: drkknte

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I used to feel like my iPad(s) should have a single case that did everything I wanted and that I never needed to remove them from. Then in another thread, someone described the iPad as being a modular computer in a way that really appealed to me, and it totally reframed my thinking. Now I'm totally into the idea of switching back and forth between MK and the smart folio according to my usage. MK for docking at my desk and when I want to type, take it out as a laptop, etc. Smart folio for most of the time for my work (online whiteboard while Zoom teaching) and for sitting around playing Civ 6. :) Quick and easy to go back and forth.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I used to feel like my iPad(s) should have a single case that did everything I wanted and that I never needed to remove them from. Then in another thread, someone described the iPad as being a modular computer in a way that really appealed to me, and it totally reframed my thinking. Now I'm totally into the idea of switching back and forth between MK and the smart folio according to my usage. MK for docking at my desk and when I want to type, take it out as a laptop, etc. Smart folio for most of the time for my work (online whiteboard while Zoom teaching) and for sitting around playing Civ 6. :) Quick and easy to go back and forth.

After an initial adjustment period, I’m really enjoying using my new 12.9” Pro as a tablet. At first it felt a bit too large but now I would never go back to anything smaller. When I don’t need to type a lot I’m just popping it off the MK and using it with no case unless you count the protective dBrand skin I installed.

i do need a drawing stand and don’t like any of the ones I’ve seen on Amazon, so I sort of designed my own and asked my wife if she could come up with a way to craft it for me. If it doesn’t turn out the way I was hoping I might grab a folio from Apple, but I don’t think I’m going to need it.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I switch between the MK and "nothing" at my desk. The MK's split-back design makes it easy to lift the iPad off the dock and lay it on the desk for scribbling notes, etc. I actually have some thin clear plastic on the back of the iPad to improve grip. It's barely noticeable.

When I leave my desk the smart folio gets snapped on. Effortlessly easy again (although that case is a little trickier to remove)

The Apple cases cost a bit more but they really complement the iPad. They also last longer (based on experience).

Reactions: JockItch43
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.