For those with the reception issue, please try this.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steve686, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

After reading all the posts about the reception issue with ATT's 3G service, I want some of you guys to just try this. If you have the reception issues while holding your phone:

Simply put, go into your settings, turn off 3G so you are in 2G mode, and try to duplicate the problem. Still the same bars dropping?

Since 3G signal uses multiple towers for maximum efficiency and 2G locks onto one(I believe), I just think there may not be enough tower coverage to give some of you as strong a signal to fight the covering of the antenna.

It's by no means a very smart theory, but just something simple I thought you could give a try to see if your bars go down in this mode.

2. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I don't notice the problem, and I'm always on 2G.

3. Steve686 thread starter macrumors 68030

Steve686

you live in Michigan?

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Both 3G and 2G only use one cell at a time for coverage (there is overlap if you move between cells, but that shouldn't have any impact on this "issue").

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I thought of this earlier today. It makes no difference if on EDGE or 3G.

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

While I dont have this issue, my friend's phone does. I switched it to 2G and while death gripping it goes from 5 down to 3 bars.

death gripping while on 3G brings it down from 5 to 3 as well

but it could just be my location.

again, i cannot replicate this on my iphone 4 at all, but it does happen to my 3GS.

Saying don't hold it that way or get a bumper was a real dick move of Steve, but I still think this is a software issue with reporting signal reception in 4.0

7. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I've been thinking about this.

When I first read about this I tried to replicate it at home using Edge. I couldn't. I went to work and inside the building it happened. I left go of the antenna and my bars returned. I put my hand back and the bars slowly went back down until I had no service. I was surfing the net while doing this and I couldn't load any of the pages, naturally.

Today, I think I finally replicated the issue on Edge at home. Though I had to hold the entire antenna in my hand to do it... so I'm not sure what the exact deal is.

8. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I do.

9. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

yeah, i had to really cover my hand all over the black strips and steel on my friend's phone to get the bars to go down.

Could be an indoors thing with the way apple makes the phone pick the least congested nearby towers instead of the strongest.

10. Flash69 macrumors member

Apple Customer support had me disable 3G and wireless and test it also. I lose cellular signal on both 3G and EDGE.

As soon as I move my hand (or finger tip) off the both antennas cellular service returns within 5 seconds.

11. isuryan83 macrumors newbie