For those with unlimited data plans...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Built, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Built macrumors 68020

I know it's printed on the bill...and I know it's in AT&T's system, but I like to keep documentation on virtually everything.

I know that those of us with an unlimited data plan are grandfathered in, but since there have been so many questions, and so many concerns, about possible mess-ups, it would probably be a good idea (and will only take a moment of your time), to go the ATT site...Sign in...Go to My Profile...Then click on Customer Service Summary...

A PDF file will come up with all of your account data INCLUDING the number on your sim card.

You can either print it out, or save it to your hard drive. I have saved it to my "Receipts" folder...just in case.

I know it is probably overkill...and I know it is on the bill...but you never know when this MIGHT come in handy.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems like, if you printed and saved anything, it would be something that says as much as AT&T has said about their guarantee that users with unlimited plans will be able to keep them... right now, your plan is unlimited, so the data consumption doesn't matter. Were your plan to somehow become capped at some point in the future, the contention would be over whether you were entitled to an uncapped plan, not over what the data consumption is, n'est-ce pas?

3. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

If you notice on the PDF file I am referring to, there is a space at the end for an "acceptance signature." This is done electronically when you get your iPhone...but it does constitute an agreement.

I just like to save everything like this...just in case something "goes wrong."

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, okay, I see what you're saying now. Not such a bad idea... I'm still trying to figure, though, I might actually downgrade to the capped plan for the $60 a year.

5. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Ostensibly, they *could* change the terms and conditions, and impose a cap on a previously uncapped plan...but...a case could then be made for the user to break the two-year commitment early when the terms and conditions change in this way.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I cant find the "customer service summary" after going in my profile (and anywhere else for that matter

Care to be more elaborate? maybe i just cant see it

I do save all my bills though which may be adequate as well, no?

7. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Click on MY PROFILE...then...USER INFORMATION...then under CONTRACT INFORMATION you will see the link for Customer Service Summary..Click on that...

A bill *should* be enough...but this is the actual "agreement" document...

8. ophidean macrumors member

Thanks for this tip, I downloaded and saved that contract.
    I am keeping the $30 for unlimited as long as I can. I think we all know the reason AT&T did this. Faster networks and faster machines = more downloading...They are future proofing themselves. Sure 65 percent of users use less that 200MB per month now, just wait though. That number will only climb as years go on and AT&T wants to take advantage of it.
    I average 4gigs a month prob from just streaming audio at work.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sorry Built,

This is a waste of time. The CSS is only what you got based on when you completed the contract activation. You could have made dozens of changes to your plan or even features...

If you sold your iPhone 3GS on June 3, and switched to a backup GOPhone and dropped you iPhone Unlimited data plan, it will not be there..

If you thought you were smart last month and sold your iPhone 3GS, called to drop the iPhone Unlimited data plan, it will not be there...

Sorry but the CSS is just that, a Customer Service Summary and it is outdated... :(

Dave

10. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Glad I could have been of help, ohpidean. I just noticed it today and thought it would be a good thing to have.

I agree with you on all points. And, if they continue to make the capped plans somewhat attractive to those who want to save a few bucks, the number of unlimited users will dwindle to the point that AT&T will have the majority of users where they want them.

Consider all the new iPhone users, now and into the future, for whom the unlimited plan is not an option. You are definitely right on all points!

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yikes, doesn't show up for me:(

Attached Files:

12. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Re: this issue of selling the phone without a sim card to try to keep the data plan. Aren't most buyers like Best Buy expecting the sim card? Or not?

13. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

This CSS was changed from my original when I bought the iPhone 1st gen, but it does show the unlimited plan...furtheer proof...aside from my bill...and that could mean something if somebody went in and messed things up...or tried to slip something past me.

It may be somewhat outdated, but it IS the actual agreement I signed when I changed to the 3G.

14. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Gazelle.com says that if you leave the SIM card in and send it to them before the account is deactivated, it will reduce the value of the phone.

They do not want the phones with the SIM cards.

15. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Ah, thank you, Built. So no one even wants the sim card, good.

Okay, I just got off with a nice ATT rep. Told him of my plan and would I keep my unlimited data, that I wanted to sell my 3gs now and get a gophone with a different number. Then put the iphone sim card in a drawer, keep my account active as if nothing had happened, buy the iphone 4 on the 24th.

He checked with the supervisor and was told there should be no problem. He put a note in my file to this effect. The key is to keep your account active and paid, put the sim card away, he said. The fact that I'm not trying to attach my old phone number to this gophone also helps. He also said there are ways to reinstate the plan under certain conditions when I mentioned how posters said there would be no code to do that - meaning it's possible but depends on the conditions under which it was removed.

If you're at all concerned, I would call ATT and make certain you have a note in your file about your intentions.

16. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Great advice, Bush.

I am going to keep my 3G until I activate the 4 on the 24th. I've already set it up with Gazelle to buy my 1st gen and my 3G...I believe I have 30 days...they are sending me a box.

I will definitely call ATT on Monday and do the same as you did, as well...just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the great advice and information.

17. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

B - I would like to credit you at Gazelle for referring me. Can you send me a PM with whatever info I need to do that?

18. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Worthless. They'll just claim its a fake.

You're better off getting ready to flip out and make a scene. Works for me every time.

19. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

That is SO nice of you, bush. I really appreciate that! I will send you my information.

20. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

I'd prefer NOT to go that route. There are very few things in life worth throwing a tantrum over.

21. synnerg macrumors newbie

synnerg

:apple:I could not agree more.

I average 6Gb a month since I run Air Video Server and stream 2-4 movies a month over 3G. On top of that I do remote support using TeamViewer 5 regularly for my business.

My brother does not use 100Mb (nublet)
    Dont be a sucker to da man! Unlimited Data 4 life:cool:. But I mean I have been with Cingular...ooops, I mean AT&T for 10 years.

Maximize your data usage, clog the networks, bring down the evil corporations!!! HAHAHAH

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

[pirate]
    and this be such a thing, matey :D
    [/pirate]