Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KensaiMage

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2017
Hello, please help me choose.

I am working as a teaccher and I am still studying at university. I need a mobile device for all the stuff including document/paper work. I am planning to buy ddr4 macbook/imac as soon as it comes out for more demanding work including programming and so on.

So:

iPad Pro 2 LTE + magic pencil + keyboard

Vs

Macbook 12 256ssd i7 processor 16gb ddr3

Both are very mobile. The iPad has better screen while the macbook is a full computer. However, I do not need to use usb and I can wait with more demanding stuff for next - ddr4 mac - so I will update/buy new when it comes out. What to do now? I heard that the macbook is nice but the ipad with pencil beats it for university. Plus -> iPad is cheapper. Thanks

Last edited:

planetf1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Hampshire, UK
I think it depends on what you're doing with apps. iPad probably great for consumption and drawing with pencil... Mac for full document writing etc.

Also if you are open to non apple solutions look at the Microsoft surface. I know it's a different ecosystem but it bridges with tablet/laptop gap the best imo..... As above though depends so much on what we u use

KensaiMage

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2017
I think it depends on what you're doing with apps. iPad probably great for consumption and drawing with pencil... Mac for full document writing etc.

Also if you are open to non apple solutions look at the Microsoft surface. I know it's a different ecosystem but it bridges with tablet/laptop gap the best imo..... As above though depends so much on what we u use

Basically I need the device for everything related to getting a doctor degree + for teaching. So a lot of research work and paper writing, presentations and taking notes.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
If this purchase is eventually going to be a secondary device, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Currently I'm in grad school (mainly Econ + Business courses) and many of my peers take notes on their iPad's. I honestly can't deal with just a tablet so I usually bring my MBP to lecture. To be fair, it's my main computer. As someone previously mentioned, it comes down to personal preference and what you're doing.

KensaiMage

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2017
I would like to stay with apple devices only. This will be my only device. I do have a very old and very slow computer at home but I can manage waiting for ddr4 mac.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
If mobility isn't a deal breaker, why not a 13" MBP? The lineup is saturated right now but you can probably find one for $1100-1200 USD brand new.

I may be a little biased. ;)

KensaiMage

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2017
If mobility isn't a deal breaker, why not a 13" MBP? The lineup is saturated right now but you can probably find one for $1100-1200 USD brand new.

I may be a little biased. ;)

I am only interested in MB 12" 16gb vs the new iPad pro :)

I am looking for more opinions! :) Thanks
[doublepost=1496735071][/doublepost]OH another important thing I almost forgot about:

I am also teaching through skype - The Macbook 12" has only 480p camera while the iPad Pro 10.5 has a 1080p camera.
[doublepost=1496735233][/doublepost]I don't know what to do...

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Depends on whether you take note quicker by handwriting or by typing. If you handwrite quickly, then go for the iPad Pro and Pencil. If you type quickly, then the Macbook will do.
Depending on programming type, you might want the iMac Pro. I certainly want it.

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007

I'd recommend a 13" macbook pro. Make sure it has 16GB of RAM (it's not upgradeable). Unless you're plugging in multiple big monitors, the 2015 is better than the new ones. Weighs 1lb more than the macbook but has better battery, keyboard, and bigger screen.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I like both devices, but I think there is more flexibility with the MacBook. You can use more full featured applications and do things more quickly with a MacBook than an iPad. For those long complicated research papers that you are going to be doing the MacBook will allow you to have digital reference material open in one application/window while you can be typing away in another. While the iPad allows for that, it is a tighter screen. You can also use multiple 'desktops' in the MacBook and switch between them while you can not do that with the iPad. additionally you can plug in a inexpensive second monitor to the MacBook and have two large screens open that you can't do with the iPad.

jaduff46

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2010
Second star on the right....
Agree with @raccoontail on the 13" rMBP. Daughter has one (2013) and loves it. Persuaded her to go for that over the Air given that it's only marginally heavier but much more horsepower and connectivity.

Go for the 16GB of RAM since you can't upgrade it after the fact. I tend to max out purchases and keep them for a long time (witness my 2010 iMac).

John

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
MacBook or preferably MBP. The iPad is a fun toy. The MacBook is a tool for work.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Go for the Mac, but I'd really recommend the MBP instead as Skype is a CPU hog. Last time I ran Skype on my rMB it caused it to run nuclear hot and I wound up uninstalling it.

Also why are you waiting on Macs with DDR4 RAM? RAM type shouldn't really matter for the kind of work you're doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.