For using Windows 7 on Mac - Vmware Fusion or Bootcamp ? Which is best?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kreazy, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Kreazy macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have a 15'' Mac book pro. I haven't installed Windows 7 on it yet.

Which method is best to install Win-7 on Mac?

Vmware Fusion or Bootcamp Method?

What are the pros and cons?

If you know any link on this forum which will answer my question in detail please give me.

Thanks for your time and i appreciate your response.

Regards
    Kreasy

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Once I've had XP installed under Bootcamp and I hated it. I think it makes sense - especially with your computing power - to run OS X and Windows 7 simultaneously. Fusion is even better than Parallels, so that's good. I don't know, whether it supports 7, but there is also a free option - Virtualbox from Sun.

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I forgot to say why I hated Bootcamp, but I think it's pretty obvious that if you can run software from both OS, it's better. With Fusion, you can even share files and folders.

4. Kreazy thread starter macrumors newbie

Can i run/install any kind of application while running win-7 through Fusion?

5. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

6. Kreazy thread starter macrumors newbie

Do i have to install Anti Virus Software while I am running Win-7 on Vmware Fusion?

7. aki macrumors 6502a

it completely depends on what you want windows for

if you want gaming or high end apps like video work, bootcamp is best. its a "real PC" so you get all the speed of your hardware and no "issues"

if you only need windows occasionally for the odd app, i use parallels 5 and that works fine

yes you can game under it too, especially older titles - but for newer stuff, its not that you cant but why would you when you have bootcamp there

many people run both bootcamp and parallels or fusion - i think thats a sensible idea

but yes, decide what you need that only windows can give you first. then choose the method

8. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Yes. Windows is still Windows regardless of where it's installed. You will need it with Bootcamp also.

Bootcamp is, as others have mentioned, the ideal solution for gaming. While using virtualization is a great way to use Windows for the occasional app. Parallels was shown to have the upper hand in a recent study. VMware Fusion(which I have) feels more like a Mac application than the Parallels release I tried which was version 4. Bootcamp is sorta the all or nothing solution.

9. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

Well what I have is Windows XP under Bootcamp for games. I also have VMWare Fusion which runs that same Windows under OS X when I need it for simple applications. I think thats the best solution.

10. MBP09 macrumors member

The only thing i hate with bootcamp is they automatically run on 9600M GT instead of 9400M. It generates so much heat just running the Win 7 without any apps open. I hope they can implement an option to choose which vid card you want running.

11. amon91 macrumors newbie

Boot Camp is the solution that lets you run Windows natively, but that's usually not worth it unless you game. There are paid virtualization tools, like VMware Fusion as you mentioned, but I'd skip that and get VirtualBox. It's free and essentially does the job.