Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Currently Verizon is the only provider that works in the Metro subway tunnels here in the DC area. Sprint with their roaming hitches along on the Verizon network in the Metro tunnels.

An AT&T sales guy at my local store store did say they are adding service in Metro tunnels - but could not say how long it would be for it to be ready system wide.

Not a total killer for me about the iPhone, but a disappointment at least....

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Does AT&T really have plans to install microcells in the tunnels? Or is that just another line from a salesperson?

Because I think Verizon/Bell Atlantic made a particular deal with Metro to get that done. I vaguely remember that being exclusive.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Does AT&T really have plans to install microcells in the tunnels? Or is that just another line from a salesperson?

Because I think Verizon/Bell Atlantic made a particular deal with Metro to get that done. I vaguely remember that being exclusive.

These were my thoughts as well. Though I know that customers have been at Metro of late to give equal access to cell phone use in the tunnels.

Do you happen to know if the signal in the Metro tunnels is digital or analog? The reason I ask is that I am totally sold on the iPhone. I may stay with Sprint and leverage the iPhone hype for a new phone and a better plan....

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Unfortunately, AT&T does not work underground in the Metro, nor will they for many years to come. Verizon has an exclusive contract with WMATA to provide service at stations. Sprint customers can make calls because Sprint roams on Verizon's network, although they can't do data functions on Verizon's network.

That will not stop me from getting an iPhone. There is simply no other phone like it on the market.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
These were my thoughts as well. Though I know that customers have been at Metro of late to give equal access to cell phone use in the tunnels.

Do you happen to know if the signal in the Metro tunnels is digital or analog? The reason I ask is that I am totally sold on the iPhone. I may stay with Sprint and leverage the iPhone hype for a new phone and a better plan....

My EVDO card works in the metro (in 1xRTT mode), so it must be digital.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.