For Verizon and Sprint customers in the DC area switching to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Currently Verizon is the only provider that works in the Metro subway tunnels here in the DC area. Sprint with their roaming hitches along on the Verizon network in the Metro tunnels.

An AT&T sales guy at my local store store did say they are adding service in Metro tunnels - but could not say how long it would be for it to be ready system wide.

Not a total killer for me about the iPhone, but a disappointment at least....

2. eddietr macrumors 6502a

Does AT&T really have plans to install microcells in the tunnels? Or is that just another line from a salesperson?

Because I think Verizon/Bell Atlantic made a particular deal with Metro to get that done. I vaguely remember that being exclusive.

3. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

These were my thoughts as well. Though I know that customers have been at Metro of late to give equal access to cell phone use in the tunnels.

Do you happen to know if the signal in the Metro tunnels is digital or analog? The reason I ask is that I am totally sold on the iPhone. I may stay with Sprint and leverage the iPhone hype for a new phone and a better plan....

4. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Unfortunately, AT&T does not work underground in the Metro, nor will they for many years to come. Verizon has an exclusive contract with WMATA to provide service at stations. Sprint customers can make calls because Sprint roams on Verizon's network, although they can't do data functions on Verizon's network.

That will not stop me from getting an iPhone. There is simply no other phone like it on the market.

5. eddietr macrumors 6502a

My EVDO card works in the metro (in 1xRTT mode), so it must be digital.

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, it seems that Sprint has moved away from dual band phones (digital/analog).