For Vista: Does Uprgrade Package Work? Or Do I Need Full Version?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TimJim, May 16, 2007.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

pretty self explanitory, i want to buy vista and use it on my MCP with bootcamp. If i buy the cheaper 'uprgrade' version of vista instead of the full version, will it work?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Do you have a previous version of 2K or XP that allows you to qualify for the upgrade pricing?

B

3. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You'll need an original Windows XP or 2000 disc to verify for the upgrade.

5. zauriel macrumors member

zauriel

Actually, you can use just the upgrade version and fully install Vista without having any prior copy of Windows.

You simply install it once, but skip entering the product code on the first run. You get the full version of Vista, but in trial mode (for 30 days). Then once it's running, you run the install program again from within Windows. The upgrade version will detect the existing Vista OS and will install again, and this time you enter the product code. Then the copy of Vista will activate without a problem and voila, you've got a full version of Vista for the price of the ugprade software.

That's how I'm running Vista Home Premium via Bootcamp on my 24" iMac.

6. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

7. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Surely thats got to be violating some kind of Licensing Terms.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Getting around the mechanical limitations of the installer to give you a clean install, when you are entitled to a license should not be a violation of the EULA. Buying an upgrade edition when you either don't have an upgradeable license than can be transferred to the Mac, on the other hand is.

B

9. Tigerpaws macrumors newbie

Does this method also work with a parallels installation? Or only under bootcamp? Thanks. Cannot wait for my MBP...

10. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

Does this still work with the new Boot Camp that comes with Leopard?? I've heard that it might not but I can't see why it wouldn't.