Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
Its time to step up into the 90's i think. I live as far off the grip as i can, but i can no longer put off mobile communication. But before anyone answers my questions, i need to stress some things:

I am NOT interested in texting. I will never be.

I DONT need mobile internet. I can read a phone book, and a map, and i can find my own damn restaurants thank you.

I dont twitter or instagram, and if i need to troll facebook i do it at home.

I am perfectly happy with my iPod for listening to music (once i get my new one that is).

I dont watch videos/look at photos anywhere but my house.

WHAT I DO NEED:

I need a phone when i'm not at home, and really... its pretty rare. For emergencies mostly.

I would LIKE a nice camera, to take pics and videos i can put on my computer.

Thats it.

So basically, i'll be buying minutes as i go, i am NOT interested in monthly payments (that would involve opening a bank account... not gonna happen). Had a friend who just bought minutes as she needed and took pics on her old flip phone and that would be MORE than fine for what i need.

HOWEVER... i've seen some damn nice photos coming from iPhones, better than my actual digital camera (many many years old mind you), and to have that handy is something i'd use a lot (i hate lugging my cam around with me). I dont need to send the pics, or instagram them or whatever... just take them, again, to be downloaded later. I actually find myself in need or want for a camera quite often. I'd take a lot of videos as well, if the quality is decent (which it is).

Soooo... been thinking about a used iPhone (not sure which model to buy), and no plan. I dont know if you can even do that, as EVERYONE i know with an iPhone is an internet addict.

Thoughts?

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
You don't want to make monthly payments? Then that means you don't want a contract.

An iPhone 6 off contract is $650 new. a 6 Plus is $750. I think they sell the 5s for $550, and the 5 for $450. You can find used phones on eBay for less then that. (I think you can find 5s'es for something like $450 or $425 on ebay)

What Carrier are you looking into? I think MetroPCS, and Boost do prepaided plans. Then Verizon Wireless offers some type of it also. Not sure about ATT or Sprint haven't used them myself.

Every iPhone plan I've seen is going to make you buy data in some way, some carriers offer small amounts like 500MB per month.

nathan.kindle

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
Also if you get an iPhone your also reducing the number of gadgets you need to lug around so there would be no need for a iPod, so that a money saving as well as one less thing to keep up with.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You didn't say how much space you use on your iPod and that's relevant.

I think you'll come out way ahead (in cost and quality) if you get a flip phone and a good camera to tote along with your iPod.

If you tote a handbag, backpack, briefcase, or fanny pack then carrying the three items won't be too much of a bother.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
From all of the information that you have given, I would also vote for a good quality flip-phone. It will fulfill all of your stated needs except the good quality camera.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
5s of whatever size you like as a minimum. The iPod touch is now very much outdated. The iPhone would give you everything you want and more if you ever stop living under your rock.

iPhone = iPod/camera/phone

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
I live as far off the grip as i can...
I think you meant "grid", unless you're a little unstable ;)

For what you described, an iPhone (and data plan) would be a waste. For the little time that you're out and about you can lug a flip phone, iPod, and digital camera rather than the cost of ownership that comes with any smart phone.

DieBeachballDie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2015
Also if you get an iPhone your also reducing the number of gadgets you need to lug around so there would be no need for a iPod, so that a money saving as well as one less thing to keep up with.

I already have a new iPod (well, its coming, 16g Nano i think... its part of the recall).

Brian, my current 4g Nano could use a bit more room, but i guarantee i'll never fill the 16g one i'm getting. I have a LOT more music than that, i just dont use more than a few small playlists when i drive or work out.

----------

5s of whatever size you like as a minimum. The iPod touch is now very much outdated. The iPhone would give you everything you want and more if you ever stop living under your rock.

iPhone = iPod/camera/phone

Haha... no kidding. I cant say i'd never use the rest of the features, but right now, and for the forseeable future, i just dont have the consistent income to commit to a plan... which... are all pretty damn expensive. Further... i am done with banks. I keep my interaction with them to a bare minimum.

naimmkassim

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Agree..it a waste of money..if u want to call somebody, what ever phone u use, the person u call is still d same person..if u want to go to some where, what ever transportation u use, the destination is still d same..what ever brand of watch u buy..the time u see is still d same..

gollum

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
NKY
I would suggest a unlocked T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 635 for well under a $100. Buy a Pre-paid $100 sim that is good for 1 year. In the 11 month add another $10 to it to carry forward the unused minutes.
Pics and videos can be set to upload to a cloud drive so you can then download them on your computer.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
You have to look at those features because you never know when you might need them. I like that you can now call over wifi.

Camera feature is like any other gadget. It depends on the user to make it work. I've seen crappy photos from people using a mobile phone. You can get better images with a real camera but you still need to know how to use that. The iPhone like every other mobile device, it's convenient.

I've paired my iPod touch with a flip phone. Thats an option if you don't want to pay the data fee.

YOu never know. These features might get you using the phone more. Some the store apps are sweet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.