For which tasks do you PREFER using an iPad to a Macbook Air.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jastevenson, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jastevenson macrumors newbie

I expected that a big use for my iPad would be for browsing the web or watching a video while lying in bed, or sitting on the sofa. However, I've found that I prefer using my Macbook. This came as a surprise.

What are some tasks you do that, if you had both a Macbook Air and an iPad immediately at hand, you would use the iPad over the Macbook?

2. arc918 macrumors member

arc918

I like browsing on my MBA 11 much better than my ipad. I've had the MBA longer, so maybe I'm biased.

3. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

No Air as I'm a PC guy.

But I'll use my iPad for net surfing where I don't need to type much (so everything but forum posting and long e-mails), watching videos, reading PDFs and e-books etc.

Laptop gets used for long e-mails, forums, and work (writing, data analysis, etc.).

4. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I have a 13"Air. About the only thing the iPad is better for is reading because it's easier to hold. But having a full fledged computer with no limits is much nicer. Its actually not that hard to use to read. Lots of neat iOS apps but much better apps on the Air of course.

5. arc918 macrumors member

arc918

before I got my MBA, I think the ipad might have won out over the MBP for browsing

the MBA is so light and easy to deal with (and I always do a fair amount of typing when I browse)

6. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I prefer using an iPad when travelling. Surfing the Internet, checking Emails and maybe playing a game or two. On all other occasions I prefer using my Macbook Air.

7. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I prefer doing all tasks on my MacBook Air compared to my iPad. I only use my iPad for a GPS in the car, otherwise my wife uses it once in a while.

My MBA's on the other hand get used by me all day everyday, 13" MBA around the office and house and my 11" when I'm traveling long distance or overseas etc.

8. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

the iPad is great for reading magazines, books, pdfs ect. the Air is a better browser really... iPad is also great for cools apps and games

9. turkey1 macrumors member

I just use my 13" air for word processing and the trip back and forth to school. Find the iPad better for browsing everywhere around the house. Basically MacBook goes 2 places computer desk and school desk, and the iPad goes everywhere else.( couch, bathroom, outside, car, exctra)

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

1) Anything when I'm on the train
    2) Watching videos via home sharing
    3) Watching Slingplayer
    4) Reading newspapers
    5) Browsing when watching TV, etc
    6) Coaching my junior soccer team

11. langis.elbasunu macrumors regular

langis.elbasunu

love using the ipad over my mbp for video chat and casual browsing and youtube. propping it up on the dining room table, i find its much more engaging because the screen is right there with no keyboard in front of it. I bought it for my wife and thought it would be cool, but it has exceeded my expectations.

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

- 11" MBA for development, other misc work, and for watching stuff portably (prefer the larger high-res widescreen display)
    - Mac Pro for heavy lifting, audio/video/photo editing, plus for some Mac gaming
    - iPad 2 for everything else

I definitely use the iPad more than the MBA, but I wouldn't want to give up either. Besides, they both can fit in the same small bag (I have the 11-inch MBA) and are easy to carry with me wherever I go. Better to have both available for whatever task I need to get done.

13. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Laptop for...

When I'm traveling (5-6 weeks a year) and I'm away from my workstation desktop setup, I use my iPad 90% over my laptop. But I do still use my laptop for:

Managing downloads and files - the iTunes 'host' system

Typing more than a 1 paragraph email

Any real work (for me that's typing intensive and teaching presentations)

For browsing, light emailing, games/apps obv I use my iPad.

14. djc6 macrumors 6502

Accidental post; please delete (can't figure out how to do it myself)

15. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I was all ready to get an iPad 2. Now I'm not so sure, and I'm wondering if getting a MBA might make more sense. Tough call since I'm a PC guy, not a Mac guy.

But since my iPhone 4 is with me ALWAYS, I have to wonder how often I'd just reach for the iPhone instead of the iPad.

If it sounds like I'm babbling it's because I'm really torn over this. ;) Not sure what's really best here.

16. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Having both, I'd recommend the MacBook Air over the iPad2 by far.

I love my iPad but my Air gets used and enjoyed much much more.

17. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Since I don't have a MacBook Air I would have to say all tasks that I do on my iPad. :D

18. H&K MP5N macrumors newbie

H&K MP5N

Have MBA 13" and a iPad2 , the Air comes in handy when looking at web cam p0rn since Jobs has ruled we cannot view this on the iPad.

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Am I allowed to particpate if I don't have a Macbook Air?
    :rolleyes:

Wait, you didn't say which Macbook Air! 13" or 11"? All of you who replied, get ready to have your replies nullified if you don't have the EXACT Macbook Air the OP mandates!

This thread reminds me of the "what apps should I get for my Verizon iPhone?" threads on the iPhone forum.

20. chronovial macrumors newbie

I would have to say reading the news, browsing photos and watching videos on the go is better on the iPad 2.

But if lying down on a couch or a bed, the MBA is better to place on your lap to watch videos, though it gets heavy and hot after a while.

Overall though, I am using the iPad 2 more (maybe due to novelty factor) than the MBA, unless its for photo editing...

21. Mikee.Nu macrumors member

Mikee.Nu

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Have 13" Air and iPad. Only time I take out the Air is when I have to do extensive typing or precise formatting of Word documents while on the go. When home, these tasks are done on the iMac. The iMac is also used for stuff like video conversion, media organization and data storage. For everything else, I use the iPad. I'd say about 90% of the time, I'm using the iPad for some kind of reading (web, Zite, ebooks), and the rest are PDA functions, games, video and music.

23. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Now I don't have a macbook air, I have a Macbookpro. And I love my Macbookpro. that being said , I prefer my ipad for surfing, typing short emails, anything I don't need the macbookpro for. etc. I use my Macbookpro, for digital editing for work, and audio editing for my personal use. At home I very rarely use my laptop, except to play warcraft.
    If I am going to lie in bed and watch movies it's going to be on the tv in my room. The only time I watch movies or Tv on my laptop or Ipad, is when I am traveling. And when I am traveling, I prefer the ipad, as it is less cumbersome.
    But every night, I lie in bed with one eye on the tv and one eye on my ipad 2, until one or both put me to sleep.

24. ravenas macrumors regular

I'm at the my laptop all day long working on things and web surfing. I also play music and video in the background thank you dual screen display and external speakers).

But at the end of the day when I'm leaving my desk behind, I take my iPad with me. The Touch is put to work in the iHome for background music and alarm functions. (Also doubles as a WiFi phone with Skype Out.) But the iPad becomes my main "book-style computer".

At night I'll start up a video podcast to play as I go upstairs and get ready for bed. The speaker is loud enough I can hear it fine over the water in the bathroom. (The iPad will get placed in a carrying bag hung on the door or on a corner of the vanity where it can't get wet.)

By the time I crawl in bed, I start up a sleep timed playlist on the iHome/Touch and start reading on the iPad. Either a book or news feeds or perhaps some forum reading. Within half an hour I fall asleep.

In the morning I'll check my e-mail and other messages while glancing at the morning news (or whatever I fell asleep reading the night before). Again I'll fire up the video player while I'm getting dressed.

Then it gets dropped on the charger while I get to work on the laptop again. I may use it for IRC or some quick functional apps like calculator or mapping. Things that take advantage of the touch display. Or it just becomes a nice digital frame doing a slideshow of fav photos.

The kids only want to play games on it so I have a big library of those. In between games they may pull up Youtube to show off their favorite funniest shorts to show off to family.

I haven't done much in the way of graphics creation or even music sampling though I have those tools. I don't find it comfortable for editing text or HTML code.

I primarily went for the iPad2 because of the cameras. As a portable videoconferencing tool it is dead simple to use. (I do wish the cameras were better.) And I also have Twitter, Facebook, Google Voice and Skype running on it so I can do some travel blogging while on my trips. (I also have a 3.2mp camera on my Android phone so may opt to use that more for media uploading.) I pay for a Premium Photobucket account which allows me to upload unlimited photos and videos at full resolution and share if I wish. Works out really well for me because the app on iOS and Android can be set to automatically upload material in the background.

I have a MiFi card so I can use all my gadgets to connect to the web as the situation demands.

25. astrorider macrumors 6502

Basically, I prefer to use a Mac for work type applications, and iPad for casual/fun use. Or, to put another way...iPad for everything except what it can't do, e.g. programming, serving as a primary data storage device (for photos, music, etc.), and Photoshop (yet).