Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Even that, I would have to disagree. I must have gotten that 5% failure rate 3 times in a row then.
Last may I bought first 4th gen photo iPod. It freezes about 1 year later and stops working. Next iPod (replaced by warrenty) will not charge. then, my 3rd ipod freezes again, and finally my fourth ipod has worked since then, (although, the menu button stopped working for a week, but then fixed itself.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Oh...nice. I saw the original article on AI and thought it sounded reasonable. Definitely not the misquote of the year...it's certainly an understandable one. I'm sure there have been better ones. There's always Terrell Owens misquoting himself in his own book...

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Zwhaler said:
Even that, I would have to disagree. I must have gotten that 5% failure rate 3 times in a row then.
The chance of getting three failures in a row, at 5% failure rate, is 1 in 8000. It's small, but by no means impossible. With ~45 million sold, that's 5625 people.

I know, I know, that doesn't make you feel any better ...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Zwhaler said:
With a 5% failure rate roughly one in 8000 will get three bad ones in a row. Considering how many millions iPods that has been sold this will happen fairly often... (edit: Very slow on the calculator... :eek: ;))

This is what warranties are for... :rolleyes:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Also note that at 5% failure rate (assuming that's per year), the MTBF of an iPod is 20 years. even at the higher 13.7 rate, the MTBF is 7.3 years. And, by the end of four years you'd either have 80% or ~55% of iPods still working.

B

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
balamw said:
Also note that at 5% failure rate (assuming that's per year), the MTBF of an iPod is 20 years. even at the higher 13.7 rate, the MTBF is 7.3 years. And, by the end of four years you'd either have 80% or ~55% of iPods still working.

B

Huh?:confused:

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
My family first purchased a Mini two years ago, then a color iPod, then a Nano, then a Shuffle, then a Video, then a Shuffle...

...each one is still going strong - the Mini's were, in my opinion, Apple's best design. My sister's still looks brand new, and while I do like the color screen, her battery life is still basically the same as when she bought it (she has a 1G Mini).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.