For you who are having battery issues. Some questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JohnFa, Jun 24, 2009.

1. JohnFa macrumors regular

Alot of people are complaining about their battery life after 3.0, both on the 3Gs and the 3G. I have a 3G and I'm quite happy with my battery.

What I see is that alot of people have location services on, wifi on and 3G on. Do you really need all these settings on? Unless you're in a car using the GPS and downloading Myst at the same time, then it's kinda pointless to have those services on all day. They drain the battery like crazy, especially location services. Both wifi and location services drain the battery wether you are using gps or the internet or not.

I have these off, push e-mail on, bluetooth off and I use 3G to browse the web or check e-mails. I usually have around 70% left after 12 hours of occasional texting, a couple of phone calls and checking e-mails.

I'm not saying its great but it's definetly better than what most people are reporting.

So to the question; why is everyone keeping wifi, location services and bluetooth on all the time?

2. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I have everything but bluetooth on and am on 3.0

3G on
    WiFi on
    Push email on
    15 min pull on 2 other email accounts
    I usually listen to iPod music for many hours a day
    Lots of app usage (most of which sync to remote servers)
    I only charge the phone for about 3h each night and then put it on my night stand to use as an alarm clock (not charging).

I can get through a day with pretty reasonable usage and have 25-50% of battery left.

The thing that makes the most difference of anything is signal. If I have less than 2 bars of signal or am in and out of service, the battery goes quick.

As long as I am in areas of 3+ bars, I have no problems with battery life at all.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

This points out how some profiles would be nice with shortcuts on one of the screens.

When at work, I could select "Work" and have WiFi and Bluetooth automatically off. Then switch to "Home" and switch 3G off and WiFi on.

I turned off location services since I'll need that rarely, just when geocaching and searching for directions when my car's GPS won't do.

4. JohnFa thread starter macrumors regular

That's a really good idea. I wonder if there's some jailbrake program which can do that? It's weird that we don't have any profiles on the iPhone actually.

5. Que macrumors 6502

my question is why wasn't this posted in the thread(s) discussing the battery issues?

6. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

The settings screen is all over the place. For example, I must keep 3G switched off or my battery goes down to 20% by late afternoon.

The following should be on the FIRST PAGE OF SETTINGS.

3G
    Location services
    WiFi
    Bluetooth

To switch 3G on it takes 5 clicks once you have switched the phone on and moved the slider (thats 7 actions to turn 3G on and another 6 to turn the phone off after you have used safari etc. I have to do this many times a day and it doesn't make sense, if the battery could last longer I would always leave 3G on. I was hoping Apple would restructure the settings pages in OS 3.0 BUT they obviously think it's perfect. Can't they see that the settings pages are all over the place ?

They give us copy & Paste and a search feature and make a big thing about it when other phones were able to do these things 8 years ago. I appreciate APPLE feeding us little things in updates, but feel they play games with us. But at the same time what Apple does most of the time is Fantastic :)

7. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

That (profiles) would be awesome...Also IIRC find my iPhone will not work without location services switched on.

8. JohnFa thread starter macrumors regular

I can't turn 3G off because of my phone company (they're a 3G only network) which kinda sucks. :(

9. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

WiFi on 24/7
    3G on 24/7
    Location Services on 24/7

The only one I toggle is Bluetooth, because I can go a few days without using my headset. Four e-mail accounts set to fetch every 15 minutes.

I am constantly on my iPhone. It's a sickness. :eek:

I have no battery issues.

Oh, I forgot to say that profiles is a good idea. :)

Edit: I do have screen brightness at about 35-40%, with auto brightness enabled. I'm sure that helps.

10. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Lucky you, If I did the same I would get 12hrs max battery life :mad: I am going to the Apple Store to get it checked out under warranty.

11. JohnFa thread starter macrumors regular

Why do you always have wifi and location services on? Are you always using them?

And once again; profiles = great idea! Jailbreak app designer should get cracking on that one!

12. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I have location services on all the time, 3G on all the time and toggle Wifi when i need it.

My battery life is clearly reduced from using 2.2 prior to updating to 3.0 this week. I am doing nothing different from before, if anything i'm doing less as I did a full restore and haven't put my apps back on yet.

I've also noticed an increase in heat while charging. My phone is hot to the touch on the back (lower) when charging over night. Not warm, hot. This never happened before so I have no idea how an OS update could cause this.

I think the profile idea is brilliant and it's been around since the early nokia days so it's not exactly hard to do. Would love to see a 3rd part app or even an SBSSettings toggle for it.

13. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I have a similar usage profile and I'm experiencing the exact same problems as you, including the heat. All this since the 3.0 upgrade. I've been suffering with only being able to go about 3-4 hours between charges.

John

14. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I'm on and off of wifi all day, and I have no reason to not have location services on, so I do. *shrug*

15. JohnFa thread starter macrumors regular

Mine was very hot this morning after updating to 3.0 last night. I'm not really comfortable with that...

Once again; why do so many of you location services on all the time? Do you always get lost or what? :p

16. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Nah, I just like to check traffic a lot (my stand alone sat-nav doesn't have traffic), along with other reasons. It's easier to keep it on. Around here, traffic is everything!

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Some of these battery problems are tied to the ippc file people are using to enable MMS and tethering on the 3G S. If you start with a clean iPhone not restored from any previous backup that had these enables, the battery will not have problems.

I originally restored my iPhone from the backup from my 3G phone that had the carrier update installed. No battery problems just doing that. Ok, I then tried tethering and the tethering option would disappear from the iPhone settings. I then added the carrier update file again to get tethering back and that's when the battery problems would happen. It would go from 100% to 95% in less then an hour.

I restored as a new phone and added the carrier file and no battery problems and the tethering options doesn't disappear.

I always keep 3G, push, wifi, location services on 24/7 with no problems. I always get at least 1.5 days of battery life.

18. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

what's the point disabling Location services? it's only using battery when you're running an app that uses GPS (like camera or maps)...

19. dagomike macrumors 65816

That's a pretty broad brush. I get poor standby compared to my 2G on wifi with the same settings.

20. tivoboy macrumors 68030

already coming?

there are a number of products like this for the MAC, and I think if I remember correctly one of them said they were working on an iphone version.

Marco polo. or Network locations.

It IS a part of the MAC OS, and technically, it would be GREAT if apple set this up.

time based (switch to 2g at 23:00 till 05:30)
    location based (switch to 2g at home in bad area, and turn on WIFI)
    needs based (switch to 3g when on power, turn off wifi, up brightness to 50%)

I think APPLE needs to develop this, the technology is VERY simple

21. docc macrumors 6502

Just turn push off guys and the battery problem will be solved.

I have a 2G iPhone and could not get more than half a day's use. Now, with push turned off, it's the second day today and i'm still at 70%.

What pisses me off is with push off, having mobileme service is basically useless!

22. JohnFa thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, now I've upgraded to 3.0 and I've used two sn0w-products from a Development Team :eek: and I'm starting to have some trouble too.

1. The battery seem to depleet more quickly (I have 3G ON, wifi OFF, Location services ON, E-mail on fetch).

2. The phone is really hot in the morning after charging it all night, this didn't happen on 2.2, which I was running earlier.

I don't have a tethering file you're talking about and I manually typed in the MMS settings for my carrier (a Swedish carrier).

23. JohnFa thread starter macrumors regular

You're also on 2G, which helps alot. I, for instance, have to have 3G on since my carrier is a 3G only network.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

After tweaking a bit today and only draining my battery to 15 percent, I think that's just a deal with streaming audio over 3G. When you listen to about 3 hours of a baseball game that is constantly streaming data over 3G, it's probably a battery-sucker.

I figure maybe today I'll skip listening to the game and instead just use the iPod. I turned my WiFi and GPS back on. I'm all charged up now, so we'll see how this works. If my theory is correct, no biggie. Just plug the phone up when listening to streaming audio. I'm not really wanting to turn 3G off since I'm paying the extra MFing $10 a month for it, so I damn sure want to use it.

25. JohnFa thread starter macrumors regular

Of course, but there's also problems with just the phone sitting idle or charging.