For you who want iMac, but don't really NEED it!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zai-huei, Jul 27, 2012.

1. zai-huei macrumors member

Hey all!

I have been waiting on the new iMac 2012 since Jan. 2012, but new I decided to buy the MacBook Pro 15" (non ret.).

I am so happy for it!
    I have a desktop, wich can edit video and play Battlefield (ultra settings) on the same time!

So if you are like me, maybe you should buy the MacBook pro, it is also a bit cheaper?! :D
    - I LOVE my new MacBook pro!

but, would just said it!

(sorry about my english)
    btw. I was not able to find a thread like this one, so don't hate!

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

3. zai-huei thread starter macrumors member

Maybe I should tell some more details another time xD

27-inch iMac 3.1GHz $1,999.00
    15-inch: 2.3 GHz $1,799.00

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I agree. Especially if you already have a Thunderbolt display. You can pretend it is the new iMac (without the chin) in your brain.

5. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Well, you got me there. Yours is faster for now but dont sleep easy, the iMac will get updated someday after apple quits favoring their mobile linup, then it will be king once again, (after MP of course)

6. davidcmc macrumors 6502

It's cheaper and crappier.
    Did you notice that?

That i7 is a dumbed down version of an already dumbed mobile CPU (compared to the desktop i5 in iMac).
    Also, the 6970M is way better than that GT 650M.

Anyway. The MBP 15" is a nice product.
    But you're going to regret buying it in 1 or 2 months.

7. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

Congrats! Enjoy your new product! Instead of buying an old 2011 iMac, I picked up the 2012 MBA :D It's holding me over nicely until the new iMac is released. I didn't have a choice as I was PC-less and needed something in time for school at the end of August. Also, it plays D3 reasonably decent. All in all, a win-win purchase. Forgot to mention, I had been waiting for the new iMac since February.

8. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I'd be willing to bet that isn't the case for most iMac owners, else they'd have something other than an iMac :)

It actually is something I'm considering though (Thunderbolt display + Mac Mini or MBP).

9. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

This is probably the route most of us who can't still use our old machines will have to go. It makes better economic sense than pouring money into a previous-gen iMac.

10. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

It's funny how some (such as yourself sir) can completely understand the rationale for doing what I did. Some moron (in a different discussion) stated that what I did wasn't fiscally prudent, and insisted on me buying an outdated 2011 iMac! Some people just don't get it.

11. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

I almost did the same thing, but went to the Apple store and decided that I still really want an iMac instead. The 6970m is still more powerful than the 650m in the MBP too, which matters to me.

12. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Spot on .. you don't buy laptops because of its power. Has been like this for years and still will be.
    Granted the gap has been narrowed down, but still much less so in graphic department.

And for $200 more you get 27" with 2560x1440 display instead of 15"

13. laserfan macrumors member

Indeed, that display is worth a lot of money. When looking to buy an iMac, comparing the various models of the 21.5 to the 27, I always favor the 27 owing to that display.

I have an HP 30" 2560x1600 which (still) costs over $1000 and has a conventional fluorescent backlight.

The 27 iMacs are almost a "good deal" when you consider the display. ;)

14. zai-huei thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I hope for all of you, that the iMac soon will be updated :)

15. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

16. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Thanks, that's kind of you.

17. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I was thinking (for about 5 seconds) about buying a MBP and getting a big LCD for use at my desk, yes you get the benefit of a laptop with most of the power I need, bit it would cost me more in total and I'm already on a fixed budget for my next Mac. And unless you spend almost as much money as the base iMac you're not going to get a decent 27" screen with the same resolution as the iMac of the same size.

It all depends on how you use the computer, if you need a laptop and plan to use it away from your desk then get one, otherwise like me save the $$ or get a more powerful i7 iMac with a bigger screen, bigger HDD, SSD option and more RAM.

FYI the latest rumor is the iMac update may go into production next month for a September release date.

18. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

If we don't need a laptop, why should we buy one. The current imac is still better than the latest macbook pro as many pointed out. :)

19. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

A MBP will tide you over until the iMac release and maintain enough of its retail value to let you recoup. It's an option for those of us who have older machines on their last legs, not early adopters whose current Macs are in working order. If you CAN wait for the new iMac and use what you have, by all means do. If you can't wait, it makes more economic sense to flip an MBP to bridge you until the 2012/2013 iMac's release than to sink money into a 2011 iMac.

20. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

But he clearly doesn't have a old machine since he can play bf3 at ultra. So i would say its kinda pointless unless you need a laptop or have spare money to play with.