Force 5GHz over 2.4GHz

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lanbrown, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

I have one SSID that is broadcasted over 2.4 and 5GHz.; 2.4GHz supports B/G and N; the 5GHz supports A and N. Since it is the same SSID, the Mac has a choice of which band and which standard to pick from. Does anyone know how OS X handles which band and which standard to use? If I reboot the same machine, it can decide on a different band and even then it may not pick N over B/G or N over A. Ideally I would like to have 5GHz picked over the 2.4GHz and then have it use N if available. It seems that Apple hasn't provided this capability within OS X.

Anyone have any suggestions or hacks to try?

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

I'm pretty sure it picks the spectrums that allows for the most bandwidth, which would be N.

A good way to test this is pressing the option key while you press the Airport Menu.

Attached Files:

3. Lanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. That is just it, it doesn't.

N is supported on both 2.4 and 5GHz. It will switch back and forth; reboot the machine, disable and then enable Airport and it can choose a different band. I have also seen it pick G over N. It is the same AP with two radios and all standards are there or they are not.

I'm just trying to figure out why it likes 2.4GHz over 5GHz at times and other times it likes 5GHz over 2.4GHz and then why it picks one standard over another.

4. Lanbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a