Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carr1on

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2011
I recently purchased a Western Digital World Book Live, which is a Linux-based cheapie NAS. Good price. Decent features.

I'm pretty new to the Mac world, and have been trying to learn as much as possible. Here's my question:

In Finder, how can I choose either AFP or SMB to connect to a network resource? My Mac connects to the World Book as AFP, but I would prefer to connect to it as SMB to keep all the pesky Apple "dust" out of my network shares.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2008
Simply attach to the NAS using the smb protocol instead of afp.

Go to Finder. Click Go->Connect to Server...
Then type:
smb://<NAS address>/

CloudMac.net

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
Los Angeles
Is it possible to force a protocol other than AFP if one is not entered? AFP is default if you just type <servername> in the "Connect to Server" window. It would be nice to have the option to force SMB as the default protocol in some environments.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I just put SMB or AFP in the service description, so that the different services can be identified in GUI lists of available servers (as in Finder).

Whatever floats your boat, but I think you are better off using AFP than SMB if you're accessing the server from a Mac. Personally, I'd love to see a way to "hide" the SMB server on Macs while still being able to run both servers. (To support Windows clients.)

I think what you want to do is to simply shut off the AFP service. If you don't have a need for it, just shut it off. I assume there should be some way to shut off services on the NAS.

To me, it's a plus that your NAS support AFP. Most only support SMB.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Is it possible to force a protocol other than AFP if one is not entered? AFP is default if you just type <servername> in the "Connect to Server" window. It would be nice to have the option to force SMB as the default protocol in some environments.

See the response two posts above yours.

Simply attach to the NAS using the smb protocol instead of afp.

Go to Finder. Click Go->Connect to Server...
Then type:
smb://<NAS address>/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.