Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shasterball

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
This may sound silly, but I’ve never been able to get my Apple Watches to charge to ONLY 80%. My series 7 always charged to 100%, no matter where I was, and even though I had optimized charging on. My UW2 is the same way. With my UW2, the battery is so big that, for most days, an 80% charge is way more than I need.

So my question is - is there any way to force it to charge only to 80%? Is there something I can do to nudge the software? When I look online, I see people asking for the opposite (they want to force a 100% charge).

Thanks!

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Just check you have Optimised Charging set.
Click Crown > Settings > Battery > Battery Health > Optimised Charge Limit (on).

You can tap the battery widget when on charge to change it full charge for one instance.

Shasterball

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Just check you have Optimised Charging set.
Click Crown > Settings > Battery > Battery Health > Optimised Charge Limit (on).

You can tap the battery widget when on charge to change it full charge for one instance.
Agree. The weird thing is that I have had optimized charging on for years, but it’s always charged to 100%. I can’t figure out the issue.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Do you charge it on a regular cycle? I found when I'm at home and charge it each night before bed the 80% works well. But when I'm traveling and I charge it less predictably, then it goes back to 100% and keeps at it for a while even when I return to normal.

But to answer your question, to my knowledge there is no way to force limit it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.