Force audio to use internal speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ppc_michael, Aug 28, 2007.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I have a friend with a rather old PowerBook (the kind with the ports in the back). His headphone jack broke off in the plug and it's basically impossible to remove, so the computer is "stuck" playing audio through the headphone jack, even though nothing's attached to it.

Is there a way to force the computer to use the internal speakers instead? Like editing a plist or something?

He's running 10.3.

2. (L) macrumors 6502

I have a similar problem... This thread is quite old -- no solution?

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

In your sound settings, isn't there an option to chose where to play things? Or does internal speakers get changed to headphones when something is plugged in?

I don't have mine with me to test.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

fiddle around the with audio settings in system prefs.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Sound Preferences will not let you select anything other than the current output device. If you have nothing plugged in, the only device on the list is Internal Speakers. If you plug in headphones or speakers, the only device on the list changes to Headphones, and Internal Speakers is no longer an option. When you plug anything into the headphone jack, it overrides and replaces the internal speakers.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

well then, sorry for the bad advice, but you are stuck. only option is try to remove it.

7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Either keep trying to remove it, look for a third party program, or get an external DAC (Digital-analog-converter) You can pic some up for <$100 for sure.

8. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

My friend ended up getting USB speakers with a headphone jack in them, so he's all set now, however less portable.