Force certain DNS servers when on home wifi network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benguild, Jan 24, 2012.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

Is this possible?
    Our AT&T DSL modem here in San Francisco has problems with DNS lookups, and we have to set all of our devices manually to Google DNS.

On my iPhone I was able to simply choose settings for that particular network, but on my MacBook it seems to only apply to every single Wifi connection.

How can I fix this and make it more like the mobile functionality?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Are you also using a router? If so, you should be able to specify DNS servers in its admin software.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

On your 10.7.x Mac make some new Network Locations for each place you go. Just open System Preferences->Network and at the top of the pane is 'Locations'. Use that 'Locations' drop down to Edit. Then in the drop-down click on + sign and make a new Location calling it whatever you want. I suggest a short one word name of the place you will use it at.

Then while still in the Network pane rejoin the wireless network you are on. Then click the 'Advanced' button. When the drop-down comes down click on the 'DNS' mini-tab and add the Google Public DNS addresses. then click the OK button and back in the main Network pane click on the 'Apply' button to save your new Location.

Then when going to each wireless Location repeat the steps naming the new Location calling the name of the Location you are at. Remember to save that new System Preferences->Network Location each time you create a new Location.

Once you have all the new saved Locations use the free Airport Location and use that menu bar application to quickly change Locations quickly.

4. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think that App has been discontinued. Any other ideas?

5. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Yes, what ergdegdeg said. Check your router's manual, you should be able to manually set the DNS addresses it distributes or uses.

6. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

Our router doesn't let us do that. It's built into the modem.

7. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should be able to log into your router, by going to one of the following addresses in your web browser. Which address you use depends on your router, so try several. This may not be a complete list of all possibilities.

9. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's actually 192.168.1.254 :)
    And unfortunately the problem with the router isn't the DNS servers it's the lookup timeout being too low. The requests fail immediately and UVerse won't release a firmware update. @_@