Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I have a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. I have a second generation time capsule that has 1 TB of storage and I would like to use that to back up my MacBook Pro but it has a folder on it with LOTS AND LOTS of locked files that I don't need if there some way that I can force delete the entire folder?
Thanks

kdog679

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
Do you need any of the other files on the time capsule? If not you could just reformat it with disk utility.

edit: My bad, never used a time capsule before :$. sorry

escogido

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I have a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8. I have a second generation time capsule that has 1 TB of storage and I would like to use that to back up my MacBook Pro but it has a folder on it with LOTS AND LOTS of locked files that I don't need if there some way that I can force delete the entire folder?
Thanks

unlock and delete?

AeR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Got it all erased but now I need to ( or maybe I don't ) partition it because the biggest backup its going to get to is 500 GB so how would I do that?

Edit:
Found the answer
"if you really need a partition on it, use Disk Utility to create a disk image of, say, 300GB on the Time Capsule's drive. Then mount that disk image on your desktop. You'll have full read/write access to the 300GB within that disk image and Time Machine will respect that space; it'll simply use the rest for backup.
This will work quite well and obviates the need for partitioning the Time Capsule."
Thanks xraydoc

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.