Force Dictionary app to stay open?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superduperultra, Oct 21, 2009.

1. superduperultra macrumors member

Is it possible to force Dictionary app to stay open when the last window is closed? I know it's possible to just hide the window, but sometimes I accidentally close the last window and the app shuts down.

Thanks

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Probably not, but you could use the Dictionary widget on the Dashboard instead. I think they use the same data.

3. superduperultra thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but I would rather not use dashboard.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

5. superduperultra thread starter macrumors member

Now I know the options, what I'm looking for is some kind of terminal command which disables the auto close behavior in the dictionary app.

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Assuming that were possible, I'm not sure how you'd get the window back again.

As frustrating and inconsistent as it is, I think you'll have to adjust to either hiding, minimising, Spaces or Dashboard ;)

7. superduperultra thread starter macrumors member

Well there was this other issue that was solved recently by a terminal command which forces dictionary to show definitions in one window (since snow leopard it opened a new window for each definition). The command is:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Dictionary ProhibitNewWindowForRequest -bool TRUE
    I'm thinking something similar must exist to configure if an app closes down or remains open when closing the last window.