Force every folder to be arranged by kind and sorted by name?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Inconsequential, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Is there an easy way to force the entire system to display any finder folder/window with the same preferences?

That is:

List View
    14 pt text
    Arranged by kind
    Sorted by name

Is there a default file somewhere I can edit to my personal tastes?!

2. yawns macrumors member

This is exactly how I want to browse files, all the time. But you can't do it. There is no user-definable default view.

Theoretically, if you delete all of your .DS_Store files (which - warning - will delete all directory-defined views, "labels," and maybe some other superfluous stuff), then set the "top" views in Finder (all the places you can start at), the settings are supposed to cascade down as you browse. This never works for me, though. Finder will randomly decide that some directories need some other view, and sometimes it'll just completely forget what you asked it to do.

3. ozaz, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

ozaz macrumors 65816

I can force Finder to always open in list view using the show view options in the view menu of Finder (which also gives icon size preference).

[EDIT: Scrap the previous sentence. It's now apparent that option is not persistent for me either]

However, I'm also very frustrated by the inability to set the arrange behaviour. Like the OP, when I select arrange by kind, I want the secondary sort (the sort within each kind) to be arrange by name. But as far as I can tell, the secondary sort appears to be fixed as arrange by date (ascending from old to new).

Is there any behind the scenes tweak that can be used to accomplish this (e.g. editing a preference file)?

4. yawns macrumors member

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The link is directly relevant, which you would know if you took the time to read it. And no, I'm not a bot.

6. Inconsequential thread starter macrumors 68000

But with nothing to add to this thread... so nice try but no cigar!

7. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You obviously didn't read that thread, either. It directly relates to this discussion.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Since no one cares to click and read, I'll spell it out for you, from that thread:
    So the simple translation from that thread is, there is no way to set a default so that your preferences are displayed the same way with any folder.

Reading is fundamental. :rolleyes:

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'd call that a bug even if it's the intended function. http://www.apple.com/feedback

11. ozaz macrumors 65816