Force extreme to release IP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jenzjen, Dec 17, 2013.

1. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Any control panel setting (can't find it in newest utility) where I can force the extreme to release an IP so when I power back on a device, it will pull a new IPs? The router skipped .5-.40 so would like it to hand these IP out since I have a few static devices in the 50s where I don't want conflict. No clue why it skipped that entire range.

Or, any other way to achieve the same goal of having the router go back to handing out numbers sequentially (where open)?

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

The only way to force the release of an IP address by the AE is if the IP is a reserved one. Deleting the entry in the AEs list will free up the IP again. Otherwise power cycling the device with the IP will request a new IP from the AE and it will get the next one. To check what device is getting what IP, you need to get an app like IP Scanner (I use the pro version - it's very good).

What setting do you have for the DHCP lease time ? Maybe this is also causing a problem. IMO a setting of 1 day is adequate.

Maybe the best thing to do is to check the AEs DHCP settings and then power cycle everything to start again. If you want reserved devices then you can set them to operate anywhere in the DHCP range.

3. jenzjen thread starter macrumors 68000

The new utility has no way (that I know) where I can manage/delete entries, and power cycling the client keeps the old IP since most of the devices don't have a way to release the IP before turning it off.

But, I forgot about the lease time. I just changed it to 10 minutes and turned off all devices for 15 minutes to clear out all entries.

I did change it back to a day to prevent unnecessary network chatter.

4. drsox, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

You can reserve/unreserve IP addresses by selecting/deleting the MAC number in Network>DHCP Reservations. Do you have any in there ?

If you power cycle items, then they should automatically request a new IP. They will get the same one if their requests arrive at the router in the same time order or they are reserved or are hard coded into the item some way. Are they all set to request an IP address from a DHCP source ?

Your 10 min change will be more effective if you do this :

1. Make the change to 10 mins.
    2. Turn everything off.
    3. Turn everything on.
    4. Then turn everything off again for 15mins+.

Then only turn one thing on and see what IP address it gets. It should get the first available. If not, then there is something else odd going on. See if you can reserve an IP address for it and look at what IP is suggested by AU. This will be the next available (as the AU thinks).

5. jenzjen thread starter macrumors 68000

I was unclear before - the 10/15 minute trick I did earlier worked perfectly. All devices cleared out, and the router started giving out IPs the 'right' way.

FWIW, there is nothing in the reservations but is a non issue now, thank you

6. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Glad to hear that, so the problem was the old DHCP IP addresses.