Force Finder file to default to other app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AnonMac50, May 11, 2011.

1. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Hi, I have a version of SheepShaver. It originally made any file with .sheepvm at the end a SheepShaver file, and would launch a Virtual Machine when launched. I accidentally set it to another app, and it decided it wanted to be a Finder file. I found no way to return it. When get infoing it and setting it to open in SheepShaver, it jumps to open in Finder. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To set the default app used to open a file type, right-click on one of the files and "Get Info", select the app under "Open with" and then click "Change All".

3. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's the problem. As soon as I selected the app, it jumps back to Finder in a split second. I can't seem to do anything about it. Is there a more advanced way to do it?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can you select any other app? If so, change it to another app and Change All. Then do it again and select the app you want. If you can't select any other apps, try repairing permissions.

5. AnonMac50, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nope, still doesn't work. I even tried it on a new install of Snow Leopard, but I copied the virtual machine over. Same problem. I am very perplexed.

EDIT: I copied the app over to another new install of OS X and tried creating a new file, it worked. Then it recognized the old file as a file for it and not for Finder. Now I'm wondering what I can do about the others.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you successfully changed one, do the same thing with another, and be sure to click "Change All" in the Get Info window. That will change all files of that type.

7. AnonMac50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Weird, it didn't post the last post I put.

Anyway, I changed it in the new OS, but not in any of the other OS's as it still won't let me.

Thanks.