Force folder sort type for specific folders?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wes-monster, Mar 9, 2011.

1. wes-monster macrumors newbie

Hi All - I'm sure this question has been asked here before, but my search is not bringing it up. I'm using a 2011 MBA with 10.6 (SL). I'm wondering if it's possible to have certain folders permanently sorted by different columns. For instance, I am a researcher and am constantly downloading PDFs of articles; I like to have the Downloads folder sorted by Date so that I can easily see the most recent thing I have downloaded. However, I like to have most of my other folders (e.g., Documents and all of its subs) sorted by name because it works better for my brain. When I change the sort column for one folder, it changes globally. Is there any way to "peg" the sort for certain folders so that they don't change?

Thanks!
    -m :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Finder remembers the last way you had each folder sorted, so when you go back to the folder, it's sorted the way you last sorted it.

3. wes-monster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick reply! I see now that I wasn't specific enough - so sorry. I'm having this experience when I open files from within programs (e.g., MS Word) or attach files to emails in gmail, etc. When I'm looking for something that way, I find myself constantly needing to re-sort. So not really in Finder Windows themselves, but in "open" or "attach" dialoge boxes, I guess. I am guessing this may be an application specific issue rather than an OS issue, but just not sure.

Thanks!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, the sorting functionality in dialog boxes may vary from one app to the next.

5. wes-monster thread starter macrumors newbie