Force hibernate?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sesshi, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I was sure there was a way of doing this, but I can't remember. Most of the time during the day I sleep a notebook, which is fine for periods of non-use here and there.

When finishing for the night though on a Vista machine I hibernate - actually the auto-hibernate is fairly aggressively set on all my notebooks, so even if I leave it in immediate resume sleep it will hibernate after an hour or so. What it means is that if I'm working off batteries it doesn't end up even flatter the next day.

It's been a while since I used an OS X notebook actually on the move on an all-day basis, but the Air is getting a workout in that role at the moment. I know OS X is capable of the same thing but usually only when the battery is on low charge. I notice on the Air the sleep uses up around 10% of a charge during an ~8-hour night and that is not great, especially on top of the mediocre battery life of the Air. Is there a way to set auto-hibernate-to-disk after a certain period of sleep? I know I can shut it down, and a de-hibernate pretty much takes the same amount of time as booting up, but I want my stuff to come up as they're left.

2. mheidt macrumors member

3. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

4. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

So does it mean I have either:eek:r?

i.e. Either Safe Sleep always or the RAM suspend + Safe Sleep on Battery Low?

I can't say like Vista 'after X hours of RAM , hibernate'?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Certainly doesn't look like it, you get lumped with one or the other it seems, and even then only via a terminal hack :rolleyes:

Oh well, back to Windows for Sesshi. Yooooooou love it!

6. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Not that I know of. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but my sleep problems were different to yours ;)

But it doesn't that that long to wake up from safe sleep.

7. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm a no-compromise sort of guy. Safe Sleep all the time would be annoying, say if I close the lid and open it again.

8. Propane macrumors newbie

Hi, I need something similar. I have a bad battery, so now mbp completely turns off when it is about 7% charge left.

What do I want is to write a command that will force mbp to go into a deep sleep("turn off" and go into hibernate mode) when my battery is below 10%, as it usually do with a good battery when it goes bellow 3% I guess or near.

Any ideas?

:apple:

9. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

SmartSleep and the like

I like to use SmartSleep. It's good to use, but happily my need is rare.

Defocusing from SmartSleep: if you use any third party method of overriding what's normal from an Apple perspective – and if you will beta test for Apple – then please be prepared to suspend that method (if asked to do so).