Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fufyscheck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2014
Hi :apple:,

I was wondering if there is any way to 'increase' resolution on my retina pro 13". I understand that there are pixel limits but when I connect my laptop through thunderbolt to a Samsung Full HD tv everything gets much much smaller on my macbook screen. Some people would argue that the font becomes too tiny, however, it is just perfect for me. Yes, there might be some tradeoff with quality but whatever.

System settings doesn't allow to change this. Does anyone know about any way except having it connected to my TV all the time?

Thank you, :)

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
There is a program called setresX which allows you to switch on native resolutions if the more space options are still to big for you.

I don't understand why the resolution on changes on your MBP when you attach a TV. It should really stay the same. But about the preferences->Displays -> scaled -> more space you do know about?
SetResX is only if the smallest setting is still not enough which I doubt a little.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
There is a program called setresX which allows you to switch on native resolutions if the more space options are still to big for you.

I don't understand why the resolution on changes on your MBP when you attach a TV. It should really stay the same. But about the preferences->Displays -> scaled -> more space you do know about?
SetResX is only if the smallest setting is still not enough which I doubt a little.

When mirroring is enabled, the highest resolution that the rMBP can go is the native resolution of the TV, and the resolution of a TV is always lower than the rMBP's (HDTVs have a native res of 1920x1080), except for 4K TVs (3840x2160).

General rule of thumb: The highest resolution that can be set in a mirrored multi-display setup is the native resolution of the lowest-res monitor in the setup.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
When mirroring is enabled, the highest resolution that the rMBP can go is the native resolution of the TV, and the resolution of a TV is always lower than the rMBP's (HDTVs have a native res of 1920x1080), except for 4K TVs (3840x2160).

General rule of thumb: The highest resolution that can be set in a mirrored multi-display setup is the native resolution of the lowest-res monitor in the setup.
Yeah I sometimes forget that people use mirrored mode. I always ever extend my desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.