Force iPhone to *only* use 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Matt T, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Matt T macrumors regular

Matt T

Lately I've noticed that my iPhone randomly switches back and forth between 3G and 2G reception, and it's getting more and more annoying. I live and work in Sydney; I live literally directly opposite the city next to the harbour, and work is near the airport - so in other words, my 3G coverage is very strong. I *never* need to use 2G, and yet my iPhone sometimes decides I do.

It mostly happens when I receive and make calls. There is a large speaker system on my desk at work and whenever I receive/make a call they start picking up that morse code sound. It's gotten to the stage where sometimes I actually have to leave my desk and walk across the room when I need to talk. The morse code sounds will persist throughout the whole call and then stop shortly after I hang up. I'm assuming that this is a software "feature" Apple have implemented to improve battery life or something, but it's doing more harm then good in my case.

So does anybody know if there is a way to force my iPhone to only ever use 3G? without jailbreaking it? I know there is an "enable 3G" option in the settings - what I really want is an "enable 2G" option, with the tag "2G improves battery life and offers greater coverage but may cause interference" or something like that...

It's a 32gb 3GS btw - only a few months old. Thanks guys. :)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know you can with jb and that may be your only option

but the bigger question is why? isnt 3g coverage very spotty at best in comparision to edge?

3. Matt T thread starter macrumors regular

Matt T

3G coverage is very good in Sydney - at least in my experience. Before my iPhone I had a Nokia 6210, which I had set to only use UMTS (3G) and never had any coverage issues.