Force Quit Won't Work/Epic Lock Ups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ehmjay, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ehmjay macrumors member

So I just recently started having trouble with my Macbook Pro involving applications locking up, and then not being able to force quit. Oh, they pretend to force quit. In fact they show dialogues saying they've quit, and their windows disapear, however in the force quit box, the cmd+tab window, and the dock the apps are all still there.

If I try and do a force quit again from the dock, the finder locks up.

The only fix is to force my computer to reboot, which cannot be healthy doing so much.

Other weird bugs is that once I do this forced shutdown/reboot my external drives will be missing files I previously moved to them (say I moved from drive a to b, after this forced reboot they'll be back on a and not on b)

The only thing I can think that's causing it is I have an external drive that's been acting up and I didn't start having this problem until the drive starting acting up... but I wouldn't think they're related!

Any ideas? I don't want to destroy my computer!

Running OS 10.5.6
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Macbook Pro

2. nishishei macrumors regular

Maybe it's 10.5.6? I've had lots of lockups after the upgrade too. Boo Apple. Seriously, my PC right now on Windows 7 is far more stable than my MBP.

3. Stratoukos macrumors member

If it's only a certain application that freezes but the rest of the OS is functional you can launch a terminal window and imediately quit the app by typing either "kill PID" or "killall appName", like this:
    Code:
    kill 62842
    killall safari
    PID stands for process id and you can find it by typing "top" on the terminal

If the entire OS is frozen relaunching the Finder from the Force Quit menu usually fixes the problem.

Most importantly you should check what's wrong with your machine since in my 7-month experience with a mac I only had to hard reboot it once (after doing something terribly stupid)

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

First, disconnect any peripherals (including that drive you suspect) and see what happens. If the problem disappears, reconnect things one at a time until the problems start. It may not be a peripheral, it could be the USB/FW (whichever the external is connected to.)

If it's not a peripherals/bus issue (which I believe is a red herring), my first guess is flaky RAM. Pull one of your sticks (I assume you have 2 x 1GB?), watch for problems, swap sticks, repeat.

As far as 10.5.6, I haven't had a lick of a problem with it, and I would hesitate on jumping on that as a cause if you can't isolate it through change management.