Force quitting warcraft is bad?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Johnamabob, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Johnamabob macrumors newbie

Hi I just recently got a new white macbook for college and i installed warcraft on it. i found out that not only can i NOT launch it (i can only launch it by opening a map in the maps folder which FORCES it to launch wc3) but i also cant exit the game in a regular way as it will freeze up wc3 but not my mac. so eventually everytime i play wc3 i have to force quit it. but i heard that force quitting a lot is really bad for the hard drive and damages the system. Any ideas?

2. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Bollocks. The only thing that can cause permanent damage to a hard drive is physical damage. You can't physically damage a hard drive through software. Force-quitting MAY corrupt the files of the particular program you are using but it won't in any way damage the rest of the system.

Did you actually buy a legal copy of Warcraft 3 from a store? If so, try reinstalling it and downloading the latest updates. Otherwise, there's your problem... pirated programs rarely work properly.

3. Jisuo macrumors 6502

No it's a known issue that wc3 often/always freezes when you quit it. It freezes for me too often. I've got legit a legit copy.

4. Johnamabob thread starter macrumors newbie

so it's fine whatsoever if i keep playing wc3 and force quitting it?
    and yeah i do have a legal copy of wc3 too
    and i read about other stories of people who have wc3 freeze on them too
    thanks for your replies :D

5. zorahk macrumors 6502

That's weird because it never freezes for me unless it's like hanging on a BNET update.

Try registering your game on battle.net and downloading the new version of the installer and see if that helps.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Registering the game won't solve the freezing issue. :rolleyes: Just force quit and be done with it. It happens all the time and it's nothing new.

7. Johnamabob thread starter macrumors newbie

haha alright. i guess i'll keep force quitting if theres no problem with doing so
    thanks for all your replies

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

NO THIS IS NOT OK!

Dammit, when the hell do the mac WC3 users matter?

Its no secret this has been a persistent problem with WC3, RoC and TFT.

Why hasnt any of the updates dealt with it nor has Blizz said anything officially?

Its BS that if it hit command-q without putting the game into windowed mode, it freezes my machine.

9. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i'm regularly playing WC3 TFT and have no issues with freezing when quitting. What machines are you guys using? I have an early 2008 iMac 24".

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Same as you. But its been that way with all my macs since id say the G5 PowerMac

11. HolyJaw macrumors newbie

Pardon for bumping this thread, but it shouldn't ALWAYS hang.

-- Download the digital copy of the game from Blizzard. That's why you were told to "register" your copy from a few posts above this. You log your key to your username and you can download a discless copy of the game.

-- Now it will hang only SOMETIMES. Extensive B.Net use will eventually cause an error each session saying "A necessary game port is in use by another application." At this point, quitting like normal will freeze your game in fullscreen mode. CMD+M to windowed-mode, and then CMD+Q to quit.

12. amiradou macrumors newbie

Actually that doesn't always work...

I have a legal copy, registered with BNET and have been playing it for years on 3 different Macs so far. Latest being a unibody MBP.

It happens so often now that I don't even bother trying to quit normally. And since it has other bugs while playing online, such as the error message that another application is using the port, or suddenly it can't find your custum maps anymore, or it can't verify your version anymore. I find that the quickest way to reboot the game while playing is:

as soon as you get the error message, or want to quit playing:

CMD-M // Window mode

in a terminal window type:
    ps -Ac | grep III // list active processes and only displays those with III (ie Warcraft III)
    kill Number // Number = number associated with the process

then reopen the game with spotlight.

in all you can do this without even touching the mouse which makes it much faster.

And no matter what ALWAYS quit WarIII in window mode...or you may get a nasty surprise.

13. imassents macrumors 6502

Or just press Command-Option-Escape to force-quit it from fullscreen.