Force restart out of XBMC without unplugging ATV2?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by DrEnalg, Jul 16, 2011.

1. DrEnalg macrumors regular

.... and without ATV2 remote? I've tried "killall AppleTV" and "killall LowTide" in Terminal via SSH, and that doesn't seem to work. Just found out my newly-paired six dollar cheapo universal remote doesn't do a force restart either.

Any ideas? Obviously I'm trying to avoid buying a new ATV2 stick-of-chewing-gum remote.

2. roidy macrumors 6502a

I'm not quite sure what you're asking but this should work:-

IOS 4.0
    Code:
    killall -9 Lowtide
    IOS 4.1 or above
    Code:
    killall -9 AppleTV

3. DefBref macrumors 6502

Pressing menu and down on the remote for about 5 seconds will force the atv2 to restart.

4. DrEnalg thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, except not on the after-market universal remote I paired with the ATV2. I'm just trying to find some method for force-restarting lowtide or force-quitting XBMC without unplugging the ATV2.

As a slight aside, anyone with know-how and/or programming chops think there might be some sort of way to send a signal from one's ios device to the ATV2 (via SSH I guess?) to force restart the ATV2? Would be nice....

5. roidy macrumors 6502a

I gave you the answer:rolleyes: Oh and you're welcome by the way.....

6. DrEnalg thread starter macrumors regular

Yes! Thank you. I'll probably give it a shot tonight. Sorry - I have no attention span. Easy to mistake as lack of gratitude, I suppose.

Still would be nice to have a (probably JB) app be able to do it from my ios device...

7. roidy macrumors 6502a

There's got to be an ssh app for jailbroken iOS devices and then if you could find an app to record a macro of you running the killall command, that might work.

8. DrEnalg thread starter macrumors regular

Good thought. I'll get on that - I think I've played with recording macros before, long time ago.

9. Iizsupaer macrumors newbie

I haven't tried this more than once but it seems like a logical work around. If you have an iPhone/iPad or other product that allows AirPlay- send a picture from that device to your ATV2 and it seems to force quit XBMC. Cheers.

10. waw74 macrumors 68030