Force Safari 5.1 to Save Password on ALL Sites?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bLink-404, Sep 28, 2011.

1. bLink-404, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

bLink-404 macrumors member

bLink-404

Is there any way to force the latest version of Safari (5.1) to save passwords on all sites? I visit my university's portal regularly, and I loathe having to type it in every_single_time.
    Not sure if it matters, but my OS version is 10.7.1.

Any hints would be muchly appreciated! :D

Edit: for clarification's sake, what I mean by all sites is sites which have the autocomplete="off" tag

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I doubt this is possible in Safari given that Safari uses Keychain Access for password management.

It has been possible in the past to do so with Firefox but I am not sure if the same method applies to more recent releases.

FYI, make sure to set a secure master password if you do this in Firefox.

3. bLink-404 thread starter macrumors member

bLink-404

It's been possible on past versions of Safari if I recall correctly. I don't think it's actually got anything to do with the actual browser; I think the site tells the browser not to use Autocomplete on there.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I've never heard of it being possible in Safari but it is most likely possible if you are willing to modify deeper parts of the OS.

I have tried to bypass the limitation in Safari by setting it up manually in Keychain Access but the keychain entry that was made wouldn't work and would be deleted by Keychain Access upon trying to use it to log in.

In Firefox, password management is self contained and configuration files can be altered within the Firefox.app bundle to make saving these passwords possible by causing the browser to ignore the autocomplete off flag on the web page.

5. bLink-404, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

bLink-404 thread starter macrumors member

bLink-404

Yes, you are correct – it was possible by modifying Webkit's core using a hex editor. This tedious process was able to be done automatically using an application called Autocomplete Always On!. However, this application is a legacy PowerPC one so won't run in Lion. Unperturbed, I run it straight from the source code using AppleScript Editor and it run successfully, saying that it patched the file. But when I try logging in, it still doesn't prompt me to save the password on that particular website (the website has "autocomplete=off" [obviously]).

I also tried installing the Autocomplete On & Form Autocomplete On userscripts via NinjaKit, both to no avail.

It doesn't look promising. :(

6. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Did anyone here think to try: Preferences, AutoFill, select all the choices? I did and all of my site passwords are saved.

7. bLink-404 thread starter macrumors member

bLink-404

Ever heard of autocomplete="off"? ಠ_ಠ

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Didn't need as I do not have any of the problems that you are having.

9. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Safari isn't able to store all passwords. Online account logins with high security configurations are flagged to disallow autofill.

To the OP, you could make a secure note in keychain and cut and paste the info from the keychain into the login.

10. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Ah... At 12:14 the clarification arrives. Maybe if you had said this from the very beginning it would have saved quite a bit of consternation. Some passwords can be saved while others can't. My BoA passwords are never saved while MobileMe is.

11. bLink-404 thread starter macrumors member

bLink-404

Someone else's ignorance can't be foreseen, unfortunately.

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

As is someone's inability to communicate and idea.

13. bLink-404 thread starter macrumors member

bLink-404

"Communicate and idea"? Sorry I don't understand what you mean. #irony

----------

I suppose, but my original intention was to avoid the unnecessary step of having to type my username & password 10 times a day (the website never keeps you logged in). :mad:

14. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

I believe third party password managers bypass the autocomplete off limitation.

I think what you want is possible using 1password.

Not totally sure, I don't use it myself.

15. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Now you understand exactly what I am talking about. Welcome to the club. Pick up your prize at the door.

As for typing in the password, there is a time out feature on some sites. Smart money says that the admins have set a 5 mins or less password timeout. Look into 1Password (not that easy to use). Hope I communicated that to you well enough for you to understand.

16. Fofer macrumors 6502a

17. PLEIKU69 macrumors newbie

Preferences, autofill etc.

I just did this, so I hope it works. All boxes were checked but the first one--here's hoping...