Force Text Message in iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Fiestaman, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Fiestaman macrumors regular

I have been looking all over but cannot find the answer. I am trying to find a way to force Messages on my iPhone to send as a text message, but am starting to suspect you may not be able to anymore. I have a friend who has an iPad, but he typically does not carry it around with him. So, whenever I want to message him, I send as text which means I have to turn off iMessage, send the text, then turn iMessage back on every time. I know you can tell the phone to send as text if the iMessage fails to send, but he does receive the message on his iPad so that won't work. I've tried searching on Google, MacRumors forum, etc. but all of them link to explanations for sending as text when the iMessage fails.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Send the message with iMessage turned on. Then tap and hold the message bubble to bring out the contextual menu. You'll see an option for "Send as text". Tap that and your iPhone will resend the message as a text.

3. Fiestaman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I have tried that. When I press and hold on the message bubble, the contextual menu only has Copy and More... When I tap on More... it simply lets me start selecting multiple messages for copying, forwarding, or deletion. I know in previous iOS iterations, this would work, but it appears this is not the case with iOS 7.

4. white4s macrumors 65816

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

As I recall that only works only until the iMessage is delivered, and in this case it seems like it would likely get delivered fairly quickly, just to the iPad.

----------

That only applies to the situation where the iMessage isn't delivered for a little while and would then be automatically resent as an SMS. Wouldn't really happen in this case as the iMessage would get delivered (to the iPad).

6. Fiestaman thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. It seems kind of weird that they removed the functionality to send as text message. I guess there just isn't a way without disabling iMessage and then re-enabling after text message is sent. Thanks for the replies.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, it's still there the way it's always been. They just never had functionality to do it once the iMessage has actually been delivered.

8. Fiestaman thread starter macrumors regular

I thought you used to be able to hold on the message and choose send as text message even if message was sent as iMessage previously.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

No, only while it wasn't delivered yet. That's how it has been and how it still is.

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I'm assuming his phone isn't an iPhone or this wouldn't be an issue.

If you remove his mobile phone number from his contact info then create a separate contact for him with his mobile phone number...texting the new contact shouldn't even try to send an iMessage.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere