Force Time Capsule to use ethernet without turning Airport off?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kuwisdelu, Dec 18, 2010.

1. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I've searched and found a couple solutions to force a Time Capsule to use an ethernet connection for data transfer. Those are 1) turn my Mac's Airport off or 2) turn off the Time Capsule's wireless network.

My question is: since those solutions, has anyone found a better alternative to force a Time Capsule to use ethernet that doesn't involve turning off the Mac's Airport or changing its settings each time?

My need for this is: I have a first gen Time Capsule, and despite outliving the statistics for a long time, it's finally starting to fail. It's not actually dead yet, though — the wireless still works, but it's much, much slower than it used to be. The hard drive is fine. I've since switched our primary wireless network over to the Airport Express I was using for Airplay, and I'm having the Time Capsule "join" its new network.

Currently, the wireless transfer speeds on the Time Capsule are far slower than they used to be — about 1 MB/s, which is okay for moving small files, but unacceptable for movies and large files. The printer is also closer to the Time Capsule, and I still use it for printing — the AE needs to be closer to the speakers. And I'd like to keep the TC on the wireless network for smaller transfers.

But when I'm moving a big file, I'm doing it over ethernet now, but since it's not hooked up to the internet directly (and the AE only has one ethernet port) turning off the Mac's Airport completely kills the internet connection. Re-configuring its settings every time I want to transfer a movie is more acceptable than killing the internet, but still a pain.

Has anyone found a better way to force the TC to use an ethernet connection while keeping my wireless connection to the AE other than changing its settings every time? A "use ethernet when available" option would be much welcome in Airport Utility....

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Apple store will replace your first gen TC with no questions asked. It is a known issue and they replaced mine out of warranty.

3. kuwisdelu thread starter macrumors 65816

Even though it still works?

I've read they've replaced broken ones, but mine still works — just far slower than it used to be.

If they'll replace it for that, still, will I get my data/HDD back, or should I transfer everything over to a new external first?

4. LastZion macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat.
    Is there no way to force it to use ethernet?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Mine failed very shortly after it started to get slow, so be careful!

Current policy for data "retention" is that you send it in to Apple via mail and they will send you back a refurb unit with your data on it in some weeks. This was unacceptable to me so I complained that my data should not be treated so lightly. Ultimately they sent me the refurb and let me keep the original unit. The refurb is still in the box and I took the original one apart, wiped the drive and intend to use it with the recommended external Cisco power supply.

The modification isn't that hard to do, so if you value your data you may just want to DIY.

You should be able to force it to use ethernet by modifying the routing table on your clients and telling it to go to the TC's IP preferentially via the wired ethernet adapter.

B

6. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Lol, sorry to bother you, but do you think this is still going? And do you happen to have a link or something I can back myself on?