Force Touch after a few months..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tbirdparis, Oct 22, 2015.

1. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

So I know the whole force touch trackpad thing has been pretty much dismissed as a gimmick of questionable value by most people since it appeared on the rMB. I was pretty much in that camp too, not really seeing that it added a great deal to the user experience. By the way, I'm referring to the force touch gesture where you can "deep" click on something to produce a different action, not just the fake clicking sensation created by haptic feedback...

Anyway since having my rMB for a while now, I've actually found that I've started using it a lot.. not so much because I've discovered that it does lots of things I didn't know about before. But for the few things it actually does do, I've found it became natural to use it really often without really noticing how much I was doing so.

My biggest use case is when I'm on wikipedia checking out the write ups on films, deciding on something I might want to go out to see, or (legally) download to watch at home. If I'm on the wikipedia page say for "films of 2012", it has become second nature to me to just force click on any film that grabs my eye and have a preview come up of the page in question, which I can just scan over or read to see if it looks good or not. I do this all the time these days, not just with this kind of search but in lots of other cases when browsing, and I have to say.. it has really pleasantly improved the experience of doing that kind of browsing. Makes it feel more efficient and effective of a way of doing things. Kinda reminds me of when I'd be reading an actual book when studying, and sometimes you'd flip to a glossary page or a referenced page that contained more information on what you were reading about, just to peek at it and get some additional info before going back to sequential reading.

The other use I didn't think I'd care about but which I am using a lot is the way you can push harder to increase or decrease the forward/reverse controls in quicktime player. This is probably a bit specific to me because I work in film, so I'm often looking at a project I'm working on and wanting to scrub through parts of it quickly to scan to parts I need to see.

In general, I was surprised to notice that I actually miss force touch when I'm back on my iMac or on some other computer that doesn't have it. Find myself automatically trying to do it and then going, oh that's right, this machine doesn't do it..

So anyway, was just wondering if regular use of force touch has just crept up on anyone else without really noticing it, like me?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Definitely. I still think the primary advantage is in regular trackpad use where the click pressure is consistent right up to the tippy-top of the pad surface, but I've definitely become accustomed to being able to preview links like you have. On both my MacBook and my iPhone I'm really looking forward to them continuing to extend the capabilities of this feature. I also think that the iPad is crying out for it.

3. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I literally HATE the trackpad on my rmb, all aspects of it. even just using it as a typical trackpad, it's not as good as a standard mac trackpad such as the one on my mba and the bluetooth one i use with my mac mini desktop. it's not defective. i love my rmb. but the trackpad sux.

4. HellasLEAF macrumors member

HellasLEAF

I am wondering, what's the issue with the track pad. I am strongly considering buying one when the price drops but track pad is kind of a big deal...

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I find the trackpad exceptionally good. At work we have loads of current model MBPs and every one of my fellow engineers really likes theirs. It's very hard for me to imagine why others here in this forum don't like it.

Edit: In addition it's important to note I never use a mouse. Always rely on the trackpad.
    It's great :D

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

yeah, I can't imagine why either. It's so much better than the one on our Macbook Air or the Magic Trackpad on my iMac. Not that either of those are bad, but this one is just that much better.

7. tbirdparis thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't so much mean just what people's impression of the trackpad was in general. More about the Force Touch feature itself - are people finding they're using it, or at least that regular usage of it has crept up on them without noticing it like me?

8. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Big deal, you can use force touch to get a definition of a word, or be linked to a wikipedia. It spells gimmick to me. But it's definiteky not a reason to buy the rmb and I just hope apple doesn't make this trackpad universal. I;ve read the op's love letter to the force touch and it just made me guffaw.

9. Aros888 macrumors newbie

What I don't understand is what's substantially different about force touching a link or word and three finger tapping it (available even on older macs). I preview links and look at definitions all the time on my 2013 rMBP.

I understand that it seems Apple is trying to slowly move people from tapping to clicking more (making the click more consistent across the trackpad, replacing previous multi-finger tap gestures with deeper clicks), and I think that's probably a good thing (the trackpad definitely feels more consistent). But I don't think there's any action that's possible with the new trackpad that wasn't with the old.

10. tbirdparis thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah alright settle down. It was hardly a love letter and pretty far from a suggestion as a reason to buy a rMB.. I did say that I pretty much agreed with the viewpoint that it feels a bit gimmicky, but was surprised to realise that I've just started using it all the time without really noticing. Was just curious to see if anyone else had the same experience.

11. thewusman macrumors regular

I think it's brilliant.

Once you integrate it into your workflow using a third party app like BetterTouchTool, it is invaluable.

Makes my rMB a swiss army knife of gestures and force touch shortcuts.

As for the troll trolling the "gimmick line" ? Well, there are plenty of non-force touch enabled laptops for you to buy out there that will satisfy your hatred for all things force touch.

This is not the jedi you are looking for. Clearly.

("he guffawed at his own punchline"<--- look, I used force touch for that. Oh Nozz.) :D

12. JustMichal macrumors member

JustMichal

I've disabled that on first week and it stayed that way even since.

13. tbirdparis thread starter macrumors 6502

OK that's interesting. I guess for some people force touch is like tap to click for me, or natural scrolling. Just never really gelled with them personally, so I always turn them off immediately. I didn't know about the three finger tapping gesture that somebody else mentioned, I guess if it does the same thing I might enable it on my other macs and give that a try.

14. JustMichal macrumors member

JustMichal

It was getting in a way - sometimes when i tried to use dual finger tap to get right mouse button click it was recognised as force touch.