Force Touch Compatability?Magic Trackpad 2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 3rdiguy, Oct 14, 2015.

1. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Hi all,

I wondered if the Magic trackpad 2 will allow Force Touch to work on older Macs? I have a mid to late 2014 13" MacBook Pro retina.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

My guess would be yes. If you have the hardware to support force touch it should work just fine. In other words, I do not think you need a mac laptop that has force touch for the new trackpad to support it. As long as you are running el capitan on a mac supporting BT 4.0 you should be ok.

3. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

You don't even need BT4.0. Just el captain if you are willing to use the trackpad via wired mode.

4. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

I'm using the new Magic Trackpad with my early 2011 MBP and everything is working as advertised. Now the 2011 MacBook Pros don't have BT 4.0 standard but I upgraded to the CAX card a while back. If you don't have a BT 4.0 Mac then you can still use the trackpad in wired mode.

5. Stirlo Suspended

Stirlo

That's cool, I would love force touch in Sketch, Xcode too and can much more easily afford the trackpad to a whole new setup!

6. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

If you don't have BT 4.0 on your Mac you can use it in wireless mode too.

7. darkinners macrumors member

I am using Magic TrackPad 2 with my 2012 rMBP. Works like a dream.

8. jennysgotagun macrumors newbie

Does the Magic Trackpad 2 work with Boot Camp on its own? I know, no gestures with stock drivers, but is it at least working as mouse? Too sad the alternate ExtraMagic drivers for Windows got no support of the second-gen Magic Trackpad yet.