Force Touch Feature

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by jpgr15, Oct 30, 2015.

1. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

Haven't seen this anywhere else (I might just be living under a rock though), so I wanted to share.

If you force touch a contact icon in the messages app, a useful menu pops with quick links to call, message, FaceTime, or send an email. Force touching the convo just shows a peek of the convo.

I think this is great. It's always been somewhat convoluted trying to call a contact from the messages app.

Apologies if this is already a well known use case.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's one of the basic and main features of 3D Touch in iOS 9 that has been heavily advertised and discussed in relation to the new iPhones (6s and 6s Plus).

3. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, then I've been living under a rock.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

That one might have been shown somewhat less though compared to some other ones. Certainly quite a few useful abilities in different places in iOS.

5. sigp6 macrumors member

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

I'm under the 3rd rock down from yours...

6. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha no problem! I'm glad I'm not the only one that missed it. I tend to follow these things pretty closely so I was surprised when I stumbled upon it.

This might be on of my favorite 3D touch uses.. next to the trackpad feature.

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

It does but it has some serious limits.
    It shows mobile as priority and if the contact has >1 mobile, the first shows up. Same for text. Same for email.
    If you have a contact in Favorites it acts the same even if the number under favorites is different.
    ex: Favorites > John S work phone 3D Touch will show mobile info.

Good function just be aware of what it is actually displaying.

8. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

Same functionality available for contacts in Siri Suggestions but annoyingly not for apps...yet...

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Maybe you have but I have not...and didn't know the feature was there, so thanks for the tip.

10. jpgr15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice!! I hadn't found that function yet!

Glad it's helping people out! I follow MR pretty closely and I don't recall having seen this anywhere else.