iPad Force touch for other ipad models?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FallenLegend, Oct 8, 2015.

1. FallenLegend, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

FallenLegend macrumors member

FallenLegend

Hello everyone, new user here.

Altough people complain every year of the ipad just being an expensive toy just for faebook youtube and some IOS crappy games, this time is different. There is a killer game changing feature this time I am very excited. "Force touch". Seriously that thing for us artists could be revolutionary and a complete game changer.

Nowdays if people want to paint on their screens they either have to use those crappy styli for current ipads or those overpriced wacom cintiq tablets ($2,000 for a cintiq companion and $1100 for a surface 3). For once Apple is the cheaper option!

I dream of being able to paint wherever I go, speciall with my wacom bamboo tablet pen's death.

My question is: Do you think this "force touch" tech will leak to the other ipad models? Thing is I am not sure if I might be able to afford an ipad pro soon, plus I'm worried it might get stolen on my country due tu it's high price.

But I might be able to buy the cheaper models lie the future ipad air 3 or an ipad mini 5 with force touch apple pencil they would be a match made in heaven for art. What do you think? Is it worth waiting?

2. mdridwan47, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

Yes. I'm very sure Apple will introduce 3D Touch in future iPad's. They spent a lot of dough developing this breakthrough technology. And when Apple makes new technologies they comes first on iPhone and eventually makes their way to other iOS products (like Retina Display, Siri, Touch ID, Lightning connector, 64-bit chip etc). 3D Touch is not just a gimmick. It's the 2nd generation of touch input and Apple will ship it with every new iOS device they make. It will bring new kinds of inputs for Gaming, Apps and general interactions with our iOS devices. Apple also gave a hint when Phil Schiller said Live Photos will work on iPads as well. Live photos works best with 3D touch. They essentially "invented" live photos to show off 3D touch. So, that's a clear giveaway about 3D touch for iPad.
    So yeah, Apple will definitely bring 3D Touch to next year's iPads.

And here are the patents that confirms Apple will bring 3D Touch to iPads.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...ce-touch-for-the-ipad-magic-mouse-beyond.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...h-patent-for-the-ipad-surfaces-in-europe.html

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...nt-brush-and-interacting-with-3d-buttons.html

3. FallenLegend thread starter macrumors member

FallenLegend

Thank you for replying! That's some very exciting stuff.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

5. matttye macrumors 601

Your post makes it seem like you think the iPad pro has 3D Touch...it doesn't.

Edit: just seen you mean with the pencil.

6. Serban Suspended

3d Touch will be very important for iPad Pro even in games...so i bet next year this will be 1 feature of the next gen ipad pro

7. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Hello FallenLegend

Im an industrial artist and force touch certainly isnt on my radar with any importance. pressure sensitivity with items like the new Pencil are very important to me, but general Force Touch? not bothered to be honest.

8. FallenLegend thread starter macrumors member

FallenLegend

Hello there!

I meant the apple pencil, sorry for the confusion. As a painter I am very excited.

9. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

yes. the Apple Pencil looks amazing, although this isnt force touch, even though there's no reason why apps cant incorporate it to do most similar things.

10. FallenLegend thread starter macrumors member

FallenLegend

mmp sorry to be a bother but I asked the wrong question. Do you think Apple pencil is coming to to the other tablet models lik mini and air?

Yeap I just noticed, tough force touch could come in handy too tough.

11. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

Hard to tell. They need to solve the weight issue with 3D Touch before bringing it to the iPads IMHO. That could take a couple of years... or they may already have solved it after the 6S went into mass production. Who knows?

As for the Apple Pencil, yeah - I'm pretty sure we will see support for it eventually on the smaller iPads, although it might be a slightly inferior version (no tilt, less pressure sensitivity or higher latency). They're just keeping it an iPad Pro only feature for now to make sure that it'll sell. Personally, I'd be more interested in getting support for the Apple Pencil if I had to make a choice between that or 3D Touch. The Mini would be a sweet little notebook if you could use it with the Apple Pencil!