Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hedberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
Hey guys! :)

I just came back from a run. I had read, that the force touch feature could be used to make the "stop workout" feature pop up, but when I tried to, it didn't work so I had to swipe left to stop it. I know it's not the biggest problem in the world, but just wanted to know, if anyone else using a Series 2 3.0 OS has the same issue when they try to stop a workout? I've tried multiple times now, and I can't make the screen pop. It just bounces back and keeps running.

By the way, the force touch feature seems to work properly everywhere else.

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Hey guys! :)

I just came back from a run. I had read, that the force touch feature could be used to make the "stop workout" feature pop up, but when I tried to, it didn't work so I had to swipe left to stop it. I know it's not the biggest problem in the world, but just wanted to know, if anyone else using a Series 2 3.0 OS has the same issue when they try to stop a workout? I've tried multiple times now, and I can't make the screen pop. It just bounces back and keeps running.

By the way, the force touch feature seems to work properly everywhere else.

No force touch for me either in the workout app.

Hedberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
No force touch for me either in the workout app.

Hmm, seems like it might be a software related issue in 3.0 then :-/ I know it's a small thing, but it's just annoying when you know how something is supposed to work and it doesn't!

Hedberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
You swipe to end workout in watchOS 3. Force touch was in OS 1 and 2.

Yea, I know you can swipe to end workout, but force touch to end workout should work as well. Just talked to a senior supporter at Apple, and at least he said it should. He would contact an engineer and get back to me Tuesday with an answer :)

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Yea, I know you can swipe to end workout, but force touch to end workout should work as well. Just talked to a senior supporter at Apple, and at least he said it should. He would contact an engineer and get back to me Tuesday with an answer :)
He's wrong. I used watchOS 3 all summer (from beta 1 to final) and it has never worked in the workout app. It was a change that was initially jarring for me but I've grown accustomed to it and now prefer it.

Wonder why they stopped it.
It's easier to use, especially when the screen is wet from sweat or swimming.

Hedberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
He's wrong. I used watchOS 3 all summer (from beta 1 to final) and it has never worked in the workout app. It was a change that was initially jarring for me but I've grown accustomed to it and now prefer it.

It's easier to use, especially when the screen is wet from sweat or swimming.

Yea okay, just seems weird to delete the force touch feature, even though swiping is just as easy ofc? :)

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I much prefer how it is now. Since there are now only two screens (be default), swiping to the left is far easier than force touching. I think it's good UI design to only have one way of doing something.

Hedberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
I much prefer how it is now. Since there are now only two screens (be default), swiping to the left is far easier than force touching. I think it's good UI design to only have one way of doing something.

Yea, maybe it is :) This is my first Apple Watch, so I was just confused since I've earlier read about how you could force touch in Workout :)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Yea okay, just seems weird to delete the force touch feature, even though swiping is just as easy ofc? :)

Force Touch doesn't show you colour. Swiping to another screen can. Now people with bad eyesight can just glance at it and know where to pause (Yellow) or end (Red). Much better experience. The bonus is you don't have to use "force". :)
Apple always do this. Forcing you to do it new way if they think it's a better one. No pun intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManicMarc

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Force Touch doesn't show you colour. Swiping to another screen can. Now people with bad eyesight can just glance at it and know where to pause or end (Red). Much better experience. The bonus is you don't have to use "force". :)
Apple always do this. Forcing you to do it new way if they think it's a better one. No pun intended.
I totally didn't think of this, and now I appreciate why it got changed. I had always preferred Force Touch to swiping because it was more reliable, but you're right, it wasn't very easy to see what was on the screen.

OP (and everyone else), remember that watchOS 3's Workout app added pausing by pressing both side buttons. If your fingers are too sweaty to get a good swipe, press both buttons together, and it'll pause the workout. You can swipe to the ending screen later once you've wiped off your hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.