Force Touch not working on latest rMPB 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoneee, Dec 11, 2015.

1. zoneee macrumors regular

Hi,

I cant get the force touch to work on my macbook pro.
    I think everything is enabled, but if i force touch on a link on safari for example, nothing will happen.
    If i force touch an app on the tray bar, it will work (or at least i think it does, it will show me the app plus all the recently opened files).
    but again, if i force touch on a file in the finder, it doesnt do anything.
    any clue on what i should do?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like maybe its a faulty motor, did you bring it in to apple to see what they say?

5. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

I was trying to understand how it works.

If i force touch in safari, nothing happens.

if force touch on an image in finder, nothing happens.

if i force touch on an icon in tray, i think it works as it opens all the windows of that app and let me show which one i need...

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Force touch is a motor under the touchpad, if you're not feeling anything when using the touchpad the motor isn't working
    Link

2015-12-15_18-54-56.png

7. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Actually I think Force Touch (really 'Force Click' on a MBP) is a gesture itself, and the haptic feedback is the response. Force Touch/Click means you can get a different set of options when you click on something versus pushing hard. For instance, clicking on a URL takes you to the new page; force clicking (pushing down hard but leaving your finger on the trackpad) opens up a pop-up small preview of the page, but you are still on the original page.

To the OP - I get no response when force clicking on an app in the tray bar. When I click on it, I get a box that shows all the open windows for that app - force clicking gives nothing additional.

8. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

i can feel the feedback on my finger, but it just doesnt work. could it be software?

9. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Was it working when you bought your laptop? If yes, try a reset.

If no, take it back for a new one.

It's ironic that Apple replaces a part [old trackpad] that had less components to a new part [force touch] with complicated parts like a motor and what not. Guess which is prone to failure over time? Doubt we can open up the trackpad and put in motor oil from time to time to lube it.

10. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I assume you set up the Force Click option in the Trackpad Preferences...?

11. MrAverigeUser, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

I am not 100% shure if I understood "Force touch" correctly, but…

There are 2 different things:

1) Force-touch mechanism (Just to have a thinner trackpad, the new touchpad doesn´t move mechanically no more, but gives the illusion of mechanical click by a little impulse of the motor) This seems to be functional as you feel the feedback of the force-touch-pad, so no failure of the mechanism.

2) Force-Touch gestures as a new sort of gesture: the touchpad has sensors to "feel" the degree of force you are applying.

As for 2) you have to wait until there are apps written for (read:Implementing) this type of gesture…. might take a long, long time… Mac products with force-touch are a very little niche for the moment...

12. zoneee thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but as far as I understand, I should be able to use force touch gestures on Safari or Finder

Yep!

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the clarification. Not owning one, I had made some assumptions that were incorrect.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Take it back to apple seems to be the only answer.