Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
What do you prefer about a hinged design?

The design :)

… You use it exactly like old trackpad; it just has one more "button" so to speak. I accidentally activated force touch one time and after that I realized I could turn up the click pressure and it has never happened again. …

I simply don't like tap to click. Back to my first post, with added emphasis:

I'm not sure what's meant by 'old' there.

I dislike tap to click …

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
I don't know if this has been answered already, but there is a tap to click functionality on the new trackpad. The options are hidden, but it's there.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
The design :)

I simply don't like tap to click. Back to my first post, with added emphasis:

Unless you can give an objective reason as to why you prefer the old design over the new one it is pretty obvious you are just prejudice towards change. Which is okay, my father complains every time they change the look of the GUI of his computers or move something around. Just because it is different doesn't mean it is worse, it is in human nature to resist change even when the change is objectively better.

There have been many objective reasons stated as to why the new design is superior to the old so I will not bother restating them. The only reason I have heard that the old design is superior is that the new one feels different, which is subjective.

I'm not really sure how tap to click has anything to do with force touch, tap to click works exactly like it did on the old track pad. I dislike tap to click as well and that is why I don't use it.

Last edited:

Garrett998

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Unless you can give an objective reason as to why you prefer the old design over the new one it is pretty obvious you are just prejudice towards change. Which is okay, my father complains every time they change the look of the GUI of his computers or move something around. Just because it is different doesn't mean it is worse, it is in human nature to resist change even when the change is objectively better.

There have been many objective reasons stated as to why the new design is superior to the old so I will not bother restating them. The only reason I have heard that the old design is superior is that the new one feels different, which is subjective.

I'm not really sure how tap to click has anything to do with force touch, tap to click works exactly like it did on the old track pad. I dislike tap to click as well and that is why I don't use it.

Yes, and the question was which trackpad he prefers which is a subjective question. You can't discount an opinion because it is subjective... that makes no sense.

smelly cat

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
When I first got my MBP with Force Touch trackpad I thought it was gimmicky and felt weird. The other day, I went back and briefly used a 2010 MBP with the old trackpad. Holy moly, that thing just feels primitive now. I much prefer the new design. Having a consistent feel across the entire surface and being able to adjust the "clickiness" via software is awesome.

Reactions: jerryk

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Yes, and the question was which trackpad he prefers which is a subjective question. You can't discount an opinion because it is subjective... that makes no sense.

My question was not which is preferred, that was already established a while ago. The question was why is the old style preferred and how is the new style disruptive. Those are not subjective questions. I never discounted an opinion that the old style was preferred, I just wanted some actual reasons.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I have both and see no practical difference. Meaning I think it's overhyped. If it saves them money in assembly, or reduces space or battery use or lasts longer, then great! But stop marketing it like's it revolutionary. That's just insulting, lol!

In terms of the new Macbook, though -- I've tried those in stores and I don't like any of the ergonomics of the interface, but I am not honestly sure if it's the keyboard or track pad that I don't like. I think it's more the keyboard, and that colors my perception of the entire experience. Which is why I finally pulled the trigger on a current gen MBP. I don't want the new keyboard.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have both and see no practical difference. Meaning I think it's overhyped. If it saves them money in assembly, or reduces space or battery use or lasts longer, then great! But stop marketing it like's it revolutionary. That's just insulting, lol!

In terms of the new Macbook, though -- I've tried those in stores and I don't like any of the ergonomics of the interface, but I am not honestly sure if it's the keyboard or track pad that I don't like. I think it's more the keyboard, and that colors my perception of the entire experience. Which is why I finally pulled the trigger on a current gen MBP. I don't want the new keyboard.

I hate the keyboard. I sure hope they do not bring that keyboard over to the new MBP.

But, I really want USB-C/USB 3.1/ DP-3 technology (as long as there are 3 or more ports)

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I quite like the new one on the MacBook Pro, but on the new retina MacBook it just seems to be not as accurate. Not sure why but I've experienced that on two different MacBooks. I'd go as far as to say that the new MacBook had the worst touchpad of any Mac made in the last 10 years
What do you mean by not as accurate?

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
old one is better. physical buttons are always better than fake ones. i never understood the obession with thinness and a pure sheet of glass. Real buttons are just too practical to get rid of. Simplicity as an overriding principle is not the magic cure-all. Usability is. Many times having a few buttons increases usability. Having the same area double or triple and enter different modes, well, that's the opposite of simple.

expiredyogurt

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2016
not america
I love the new one. I didn't have the chance to try out the old ones and I was adamant on getting the new one with the force touch.

I feel it's so much more easier to use as you can click literally the whole surface to left click / right click as supposed to just the bottom left and right corner. This helps so much in terms of comfort for me. I love the force click as well since it introduces some new functions.

Lastly, for some reason, my palm is always on the trackpad so sometimes it will move the mouse or click it accidentally when I'm typing or something so having the option to click instead of tapping is a huge plus for me. I have to say that I am really in love with it since it solves some of my personal pet peeves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.